Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Renewed Literacy/numeracy Frameworks

has anyone designed planning sheets for literacy and numeracy thaat relate to the new frameworks. We had Inset on Friday, but there was very little guidance for Reception - we just sat through the examples for other year groups and ended the day very frustrated. I know there will be more training in Sept. but the idea is for us to start back in Sept using the framework so we can work through problems etc.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

has anyone designed planning sheets for literacy and numeracy thaat relate to the new frameworks. We had Inset on Friday, but there was very little guidance for Reception - we just sat through the examples for other year groups and ended the day very frustrated. I know there will be more training in Sept. but the idea is for us to start back in Sept using the framework so we can work through problems etc.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

hi minnie,

I too would be interested in any manageable planning. We were suggested to follow the planning sheets from our ngfl site lancsngfl which are fine and the other key stages follow but i am doing a daily phonics planning sheet following the review teach and apply method and guided reading also seems to have separate planning. I don't want to spend yonks at planning each weekend especially as i still want that freedom to my day. So please any ideas would be super.

Hi! As a school we're not adopting the new framework religiously. Instead we're using the 'Core learning in literacy/mathematics by year' statements and cross referencing these into our planning rather than just working through the units. Most of the literacy 'core learning' is the ELGs - with a couple of new things/rewordings. The ELGs are still in the mathematics statements but there's quite a lot of extra stuff too. Here's an example of how I show the links: week_4.doc week_4.doc

My understanding is that the units from the framework aren't statutory but come under that rather nice 'recommended' phrase. I always choose to interpret that as 'I'll do the bits I like/agree with but leave the rest thank-you-very-much'!

You can understand why people get worried though because there are expected outcomes for Reception and they don't fit exactly with the ELGs either currently in the Curriculum Guidance or in the forthcoming EYFS.

Hi I went to some primay frameworks trainig last week and delivered inset to the staff last night about it as i am Numeracy co ordinator and soon to be foundation stage leader and implementing all of this guidance. My understanding is that the new eyfs links with the framework and some of the objectives that used to be in year1 have dropped back into reception. I asked for guidance in both positions and no one seemed to know. For now i am going to go through core learning and cros reference with the strands in the new framweork as for reception they arent in units as for the rest of the school. i dont know if this is right They always seem to forget about foundation stage

Hi! As a school we're not adopting the new framework religiously. Instead we're using the 'Core learning in literacy/mathematics by year' statements and cross referencing these into our planning rather than just working through the units. Most of the literacy 'core learning' is the ELGs - with a couple of new things/rewordings. The ELGs are still in the mathematics statements but there's quite a lot of extra stuff too. Here's an example of how I show the links: week_4.doc week_4.doc

Moose, do you have any planning for adult focus tasks - went on a course yesterday and numeracy advisor said she doesn't expect to see a maths lesson as such in foundation but more maths in all the areas. This is freaking me out!! We don't teach them as a maths lesson but have whole class input for phonics, shared reading/writing and maths the rest we do focus activities throughout the day.

Hi Moose

Thanks for sharing your planning. How long do you spend typically on your whole class sessions for literacy and maths? Do you then do focus group activities that link in to the key objectives of the whole class session?

AOB

Moose, do you have any planning for adult focus tasks - went on a course yesterday and numeracy advisor said she doesn't expect to see a maths lesson as such in foundation but more maths in all the areas. This is freaking me out!! We don't teach them as a maths lesson but have whole class input for phonics, shared reading/writing and maths the rest we do focus activities throughout the day.

Hi unicid! I don't always have maths as as adult focus task every week - it just depends what I feel I can get out of a particular week/what the children need to learn. I'll always have at least one independent maths activity out each day plus my numeracy area. We did 'Aliens' a few weeks ago and I did a maths focus activities then. Here's my activities plan for that week: week_3.doc. The maths is the Teacher directed task on Monday. I think the maths is difficult because you can have children with such a huge spread of ability that I often find you can't differentiate the same activity but instead have to do several completely different things. Or maybe that's just me!

Sorry to use two posts, Steve. I'm not clever enough to work out how to quote two separate posts in one of my own posts!

Hi Moose

Thanks for sharing your planning. How long do you spend typically on your whole class sessions for literacy and maths? Do you then do focus group activities that link in to the key objectives of the whole class session?

AOB

Hi AOB. The answer to the first question is: longer than I should, probably! I read somewhere once that children's concentration spans are their chronological age plus or minus two minutes. My whole class sessions are definitely longer than 2/3 minutes! I usually find that they end up lasting between 10 - 15 minutes as we get towards the end of the year and that most of the children can cope with that. The ones who can't are the ones who would struggle to cope with even the 2/3 minutes scenario!

I don't do a literacy/maths focus group activity every day or even, necessarily, every week. When I do a focus maths activity it might link in to the stuff we've been doing as a whole class OR something that my assessments have told me that the class/groups are struggling with OR something that fits into the theme of that week!

When I do a focus literacy activity that would tend to fit into one of the things that had been covered in my whole class sessions. However, I am rethinking how I focus on writing and what my expectations are for the children. I think in the past I have expected too much and I'm trying more to get the children to write in play situations rather then formally - they seem to do much better this way.

Sorry - not much help really, was I!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)