Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Text Book

hi everyone

Can you recomend any book that would be good for doing the foundation degree as i would like to start reading while i have a little spare time in the summer please. :o

I have been reading Contemporary Issues in the Early Years by Gillian Pugh and Bernadette Duffy, it is really up to date so gives the recent changes. I have found it useful in the first year. Also Amazon do great lists by readers if you scroll through they are really helpful.

Tina Bruce, Early Childhood Education is great too.

Difficult to recommend a book since I don't know what you've already read (and every Foundation Degree is different) but a book about theorists would give you a good headstart (or put you off completely!). A couple of good ones which give the salient points without blowing your mind are:

• Pound, L (2005) How Children Learn, Leamington Spa: Step Forward Publishing
  • Mooney, C.G. (2000). Theories of Childhood, Minnesota, Redleaf Press

Other more general books which I found useful:

• Lindon J (2005), Understanding Child Development: Linking Theory to Practice, London, Hodder and Stoughton
  • Dryden L, Forbes R et al (2005), Essential Early Years, London, Hodder and Stoughton

I could go on - my book case is groaning with the new additions to my library! Hope it helps.

Maz

I would recommend all of the above, in particular the Tina Bruce and Linda Pound books. These have been invaluable to me this last year and they are relatively easy to read and understand. The Advanced Early Years Childcare and Education Book for Levels 4 and 5 (Iain Macleod-Brudenell) is also a good one as it gives a basic overview of the kinds of things you will come across during the FD. It is quite hefty though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)