Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

How Do You Approach......

handwriting i.e when do you do it?, how long do you spend on it?, hat kind of activities do you do?

do children practice in formal handwriting books?

I feel we never really approach it correctly.

Many thanks

Lola

Hi Lola,We have HW books as part of whole school scheme however despite planning HW time I invariably 'run over' other things and it hasn't been as consistent as I would have liked. Am going to use the Letters and Sounds planning to 'move forward' (I hope) on this issue (I hope!). Sorry not to be of much help. luluj

Handwriting needs to be taught in its own right. You can teach letter formation as part of letter recognition activities to support your phonic learning but then it should be taught as a skill preferably with daily practise and with an adult. It can not be an independent activity. Pre writing skills are also important, both fine and gross motor movements.

I am hoping to have access to the Write dance materials next school year.

Hello

Thanks for the jingles Marion.

We have bought into penpals as a school- I started using it about a term ago with my mixed R/1 class. I really like the big books and the year 1 children have been starting to do joined up writing really well.

This is very interesting to me, from a pre-school perspective. We always tell parents that we don't teach children to write but of course some children are very keen to write even from an early age, and I'm very conscious that bad habits they get into during the pre-school years are very difficult to break when they get to their reception or year one class.

The letter formation jingles look (and sound) great - are they designed to be used as part of what I would call 'drilling' exercises (for want of a better, more appropriate description!)? Do you think we could make good use of them in pre-school when helping children form letters correctly? It would certainly help all practitioners and parents support children in exactly the same way when they begin to want to write...

Maz

Have just placed an order for Write Dance. At £18.99 a bargain for first stage which is what my kids (and me) will need.Took an executive decision without the Head around. (Hallelujah for that! )And how important I felt! Thanks again for all help and direction. luluj

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)