Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Outdoor Area

Does anyone have a good plan that I could look at for their outdoor area?

I have been given a blank canvas if you like, as the previous reception teacher was given a new tarmaced area last Sept and did absolutely nothing with it. In fact she kept the door to the area closed!!

It is not huge-but big enough for 10 children which is all I will have. There is a covered porch thing as soon as you walk out then a ramp down to a square of playground with railings around it. As I said it is new and unused-so nothing to go with. There is a gate one side on to main playground and a gate the other side on to a secure grass area.

Any plans or ideas I could share will be very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Moisy

Many thanks nsunshine.

I think my area is probably half the size of yours but I can get some ideas from this.

I just need to know what are essentials outside really.

Moisy

Guest Wolfie

Nsunshine, that's a lovely clear plan and the area looks stimulating and really well thought out -I'm envious!

Hi

I would recommend using as many natural elements as possible - logs laid sideways to balance on, cut across to use as stepping 'stones', a stumpery of old rotting logs to encourage minibeasts, an area for free digging into soil, gravel for pouring down tubes/guttering, a large sand pit.

Use different surfaces to provide a variety of textures (allow exploration with bare feet) Planting area to encouage care of plants, knowledge of where food comes from, sensorial plants i.e. curry and lemon balm for smell, buddleia (sp?) to encourage butterflies.

Lots of 'loose parts' - open ended materials that the children can move, transport and create with.

Old car tyres - can plant up, balance on, step between, roll. A musical area - hang up old pots, tubes etc for children to bang, scrape etc.

If you have a budget, don't spend lots of money of huge plastic things - if your area doesn't have any trees invest in a mature one that may offer interest throughout the seasons, encourage wildlife and offer shade in the summer.

There should be lots of previous posts on the outdoors and if you search you'll find lots more ideas.

'There's no such thing as unsuitable weather, just unsuitable clothing'

enjoy your outdoors

Sam

X

Mant thanks,

nsunshine, Marion, narnia, dasher.

What fantastic ideas you all have. I just don't know where to start! I wish I had a whole playground now!

I love the idea of all those natural elements-I am in a village school with lots of land around us but it will be lovely to bring a bit of the country into our own little area.

Many thanks for the link Marion-you know so many sites it's wonderful!

Is it possible to spray paint the tyres? Has anyone tried that?

Moisy xx

Thanks again Marion.

Looks like you have a great outdoor area there with lots of space-kids having fun!

Moisy

I know B&Q had some very similar.

We originally bought identical tables and benches along with other outdoor furniture from a company recommended by the LA purchasing advisor (hugely expensive) and they warped the first time it rained which is why we asked them to remove everything they had supplied. That was last summer break and we got such a lovely surprise when we returned in September to be greeted by all the new furniture.

• 1 month later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)