Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

They're All Leaving

Not quite all,but quite a few staff have left and are leaving in a very short space of time.3 resigned while I was on holiday! Various reasons-I can't compete with wages in schools,moving away, fancy a change etc. How do you tell parents without it sounding as if you

a-rubbish payer

b- all staff not happy

c-will have a Nursery full of upset children?

Ps on the other hand someone who left a couple of months ago, for extra money, has asked to come back so we can't be that bad!

Hi Mama

And welcome here! I can see that its going to cause you some problemsm, and lets face it we would rather not tell parents this type of news as can led to gossip and rumers. However like you said You dont run a bad place!! I think its best to be honest and state how long people have been with you, and maybe briefly reason for going so its put in a positve light. EG X had decided after such and such a time to try their skills in a new area etc, its sounds like a natural progression, we all wish them well and are glad they have done x, y and z with us.

The fact that other staff memeber wants to come back is very postive and reassuring - I would make sure you make a big deal of this!

Obviously change can be diffiuclt but children attapt quickly, especially in nursery children move in or out , even more so with many of them starting school at this time of year. Its a good time to say goodbyes and start again. I would reassure parents that if they have specific concerns that you are free to discuss this with them, again it shows that you have nothing to hide. The worst you can do is say they are leaving and let gossip spread!

Hopefully you will be able to fill their posts quickly with equaly nice people and it will go smoothly, hope this is of some help, you probable know this already but I find sometimes it helps hearing what other people do , as a reassurance. Good luck!

Edited by Guest

I would put it in a newletter in a positive way. A section saying your goodbyes to all those who are leaving and a welcome to those you will be employing. I have a new intake of a number of staff in the September term as l take Modern apprencticeship students. When they leave in September, l am provided with new ones. Parents just see it as normal as me and my supervisor are always here.

quote name='akire' date='Aug 7 2007, 17:40' post='102038']

Hi Mama

And welcome here! I can see that its going to cause you some problemsm, and lets face it we would rather not tell parents this type of news as can led to gossip and rumers. However like you said You dont run a bad place!! I think its best to be honest and state how long people have been with you, and maybe briefly reason for going so its put in a positve light. EG X had decided after such and such a time to try their skills in a new area etc, its sounds like a natural progression, we all wish them well and are glad they have done x, y and z with us.

The fact that other staff memeber wants to come back is very postive and reassuring - I would make sure you make a big deal of this!

Obviously change can be diffiuclt but children attapt quickly, especially in nursery children move in or out , even more so with many of them starting school at this time of year. Its a good time to say goodbyes and start again. I would reassure parents that if they have specific concerns that you are free to discuss this with them, again it shows that you have nothing to hide. The worst you can do is say they are leaving and let gossip spread!

Hopefully you will be able to fill their posts quickly with equaly nice people and it will go smoothly, hope this is of some help, you probable know this already but I find sometimes it helps hearing what other people do , as a reassurance. Good luck!

Hello and welcome!

A few years ago, we had 5 staff members leave at the same time. They had all been in the job for a long time and all moved out of child care in to other jobs. On the plus side we gained 5 new and fantasic staff who gelled really well with the other members of staff and the pre-school became an ever better place to work and play!!! :oxD

Thanks for the advice.i work in a full time day nursery and i think maybe i am more worried than I need to be and i might even turn it around when I inform parents of our price increase i might mention the fact that i need to increase wages in order to keep experienced staff! What do you think?

There has been a recent topic on fees increases, one response was of a person who was advised something on the lines of not to feel they should have to 'justify' fees increases, annual increases are an inevitable occurance due to many reasons.

If you use this as a reason for fees increase and staff leave in the future, how would you explain this to parents?? :o

Do you ask staff to complete an exit form? These can be very useful to determine any patterns. who leaves for what reason at various times of year etc.

As a preschool owner I have had staff leave for a variety of reasons, they have mainly been individual to the people rather than due to any fact relating to their employment. I have also been in the unfortunate position to have to make redundancies, it is not easy to inform parents, keeping in mind individuals confidentiality. I have, as previously been mentioned, informed parents in a positive manner. All stff get to know all children well so as to reduce the possibility of children missing any oneparticular adult and sad as it may seem, however much children 'adore' individual staff, they do 'forget' us pretty quickly. xD

Good luck with your recruitments and consider doing exit forms if you don't already they may help to plan strategies to reduce staff turnover in the future, although being realistic there will always be some level of staff turnover however good an employer you are.

Peggy