Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Ba Research Project

I need to do a research project on a subject of my choice -connected with early years explain how I will do it and then do it! I will need to do surveys etc. I have thought about doing it on what does quality look like from the point of view of parents ,children and possibly staff.What do you think? Too broad should I just choose one? Any other doable ideas?

Guest Wolfie

I think "quality" sounds a very interesting and "do-able" subject - lots of scope for surveys and questionnaires and certainly plenty of reading and research to get your teeth into. As Hali says, try and narrow it down a bit or you'll be writing a 500 page book before you know it!! :o

Edited by Wolfie

As Hali says, try and narrow it down a bit or you'll be writing a 500 page book before you know it!! :o

You say that as if its a bad thing...

Seriously though, as one who finds it almost impossible to stick to any given wordcount, narrowing it down will make it much more manageable. Consulting with children is a 'hot topic' just now - there's probably a lot of research. MOSAIC comes to mind immediately, but there's bound to be loads.

Let us know what you decide.

Maz

Yes, I agree - I think it would be a great subject to cover but I do think that quality from three different perspectives i.e. children staff and parents is perhaps too broad - perhaps choosing one of them would be good - analysing data from three different sets of people might be hard but I can understand your thinking behind this to see what correlation there is between each group but I think that you will find it really difficult to analyse this - perhaps staff and parents might be easier but still hard. I actually did something similar for my research and interviewed parents on what they thought was important in a quality setting (not quite the right wording) results were fairly consistent with what I had originally thought - some suprises though from some parents though. I think I did a likert scaling for this with about 17 parents - I think the perception of quality would be a good subject but I dont reckon you could do all three. If you want to see my graphs and charts I would be happy to show you my results if you PM me

Nikki

Thanks for the input - sorry but I don't know what MOSAIc is. Help I am starting to stress

MOSAIC is about involving children in making changes to their setting - how they were consulted etc. Peter Moss and Alison Clark did the original piece of research, which has now been updated. You could google it or go to Amazon - sorry don't have time to find you the link - off to Ikea!

Good luck

Maz

Guest cathy m

I have just completed the foundation degree and the final course was centred around the Mosaic Approach, below are some of the tools used in this approach

Observations - Narrative accounts.

Child conferencing – A short structured interview with individuals or a small group.

Using cameras – children using cameras to take photographs of ‘important things’.

Tours – tours of the site directed and recorded by the children.

Map making – 2D representations of the site using children’s own photographs and drawings.

Interviews – informal interviews with colleagues and parents

Cathy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)