Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Observation/evidence Collection/assessment

xDHi, I'm sure this has been covered a million times (sorry) but i was just wondering if anybody has any ideas and examples of how they collect and keep track of evidence of children's progress throughout the year in nursery. We think we might be due an ofsted inspection next year and feel we are not collecting enough evidence systematically. We will be using target tracker but would still like to find a way of recording the endless post it note observation/ focused group activities etc. Any ideas and examples would be greatly appreciated. :( (we are a large nursery with 2 classes in the morning- up to 52 children at one time -with 4 key worker groups- 104 children to track in total) Thanks :):o

I produce scrapbook style records of achievement, one for each child, made from A3 size sugar paper. In each book I put in all post-it notes, examples of work ie: mark making progress, a tick chart to show when each child can recognise shapes, numbers etc. and some photo's. Also do a CD of photos so I don't have to print off too many ( saves ink :o ).

At the front of the book I have put the attached progress tracking sheet which I got from this forum. These are highlighted in different colours ( for each term - Aut-blue, Spring - green, Summer - Yellow). They easily show progress 'at a glance'. The results are put on to a 'master - full class sheet' ( as they are completed) which shows any obvious gaps in our curriculum provision, or areas which need more focus. It also shows areas that have been covered well too.

Each of your keyworker groups could have a master sheet rather than one showing all children on the register.

The books are available throughout the session so observations ( post-its and other), work etc can be put in as they happen thus reducing the need for non contact time for paperwork. Children can also be involved in 'adding' items to their book, thus promoting a sense of pride / achievement. The only thing that really takes time is downloading the photo's to the CD, but these aren't a requirement, they do make a lovely leaving gift for parents and children though. xD

Hope this helps.

Peggy

assessment_grid_individual_child_for_scrapbooksBEST.doc

We don't collect evidence and throw away post it notes once the information has been transferred onto a class grid and had no problems with OFSTED earlier this year. They wanted to know how we tracked children not look at piles of paperwork.

Not sure we would be able to throw away the post it notes- think i would worry to much about evidence but thanks for the message anyway.

I produce scrapbook style records of achievement, one for each child, made from A3 size sugar paper. In each book I put in all post-it notes, examples of work ie: mark making progress, a tick chart to show when each child can recognise shapes, numbers etc. and some photo's. Also do a CD of photos so I don't have to print off too many ( saves ink :o ).

At the front of the book I have put the attached progress tracking sheet which I got from this forum. These are highlighted in different colours ( for each term - Aut-blue, Spring - green, Summer - Yellow). They easily show progress 'at a glance'. The results are put on to a 'master - full class sheet' ( as they are completed) which shows any obvious gaps in our curriculum provision, or areas which need more focus. It also shows areas that have been covered well too.

Each of your keyworker groups could have a master sheet rather than one showing all children on the register.

The books are available throughout the session so observations ( post-its and other), work etc can be put in as they happen thus reducing the need for non contact time for paperwork. Children can also be involved in 'adding' items to their book, thus promoting a sense of pride / achievement. The only thing that really takes time is downloading the photo's to the CD, but these aren't a requirement, they do make a lovely leaving gift for parents and children though. :(

Hope this helps.

Peggy

Big thankyou for the detailed reply. Have downloaded your attachment but havnt looked at it yet as my word document is not working but am sure it will be great. Thanks for the ideas. We are having a meeting on Friday so will share your ideas with the rest of the nursery staff. Many thanks again xD

• 2 months later...

Peggy,

That was so helpful and you answered the questions that I have had for ages. I have one more question: How do you use the index sheet? I m going to be making portfolios for each child (3-4 year olds), i just need help on how to link it to stepping stones.

Thank you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)