Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

The Circus Came To Our Village This Week!

We had a lovely little circus on the field behind our nursery this week. No animals just performers. We are a sessional pre-school with 2 - 5 year olds and follow a child-initiated approach. I have been trying to think of ways to stimulate and extend their learning throughe a circus theme but no doubt you lot can come up with loads more!

Thought I might put out the parachute for them to try and make a big top.

squashy balls for juggling

Paper plates to stick on straws for plate spinning

face painting

balancing activities

stilts

(skip the knife throwing but I bet someone has a go!!!)

Clowns

Skipping

Hoops

Gym skills

Rope tricks/ropes

Big gym ball

Dance/flags and ribbons

Lights

Stars

Make bunting (threading, cutting, shape recognition, sequencing)

Posters and banners

Refreshments area

Ticket office

Sounds really fun doesn't it!!! Can't wait!

can you think of anything else?

We had a lovely little circus on the field behind our nursery this week. No animals just performers. We are a sessional pre-school with 2 - 5 year olds and follow a child-initiated approach. I have been trying to think of ways to stimulate and extend their learning throughe a circus theme but no doubt you lot can come up with loads more!

Thought I might put out the parachute for them to try and make a big top.

squashy balls for juggling

Paper plates to stick on straws for plate spinning

face painting

balancing activities

stilts

(skip the knife throwing but I bet someone has a go!!!)

Clowns

Skipping

Hoops

Gym skills

Rope tricks/ropes

Big gym ball

Dance/flags and ribbons

Lights

Stars

Make bunting (threading, cutting, shape recognition, sequencing)

Posters and banners

Refreshments area

Ticket office

wow...sounds like you have thought of everything already...what fun

you could perhaps have a dressing up day ..clowns, ring master, animals etc

hope to see some pictures :o

Sounds really fun doesn't it!!! Can't wait!

can you think of anything else?

Great list there, only other thing I can think of are the costumes, large feather plume hats, Circus Ring Master etc.

Maybe ask parents if they have any programmes from the visit, maybe also design a poster advertising 'your' circus.

Have fun. :o

Peggy

Once many light years :o ago we did a number circus.With the children we worked out 1 ringmaster, 2 elephants, 3 clowns, 4 jugglers etc.We made all made masks and then for our reception assembly (2 classes) we had a parade with the ringmaster introducing each 'act'.I remember the clowns had paper in their buckets to throw on the audience xD

:o sorry...not sure what happened to my previous reply...was suggesting a dressing up day...ring master, clowns etc.

If you reply directly to someones post, and their post is quoted in your reply, you need to make sure that you start typing after the end bit otherwise your reply comes up inside the quote. Sorry, sounds a bit garbled but I hope you understand. xD

and inspiration came to me today in the middle of Sainsburys! Decorate rich tea biscuits with smarties (just one for the nose) and dolly mixtures and strawberry laces, all stuck on with icing from a tube - presto! Clown faces!!! Yum.

Went to Sainsbury's after we had parted with rather a lot of money for a new dishwasher next door. I was bitterly disappointed cos it didn't come in a lovely box. The man in the shop thought I was mad! It only had a small shallow box on the top............ can't decide whether to let the children make it into a 'dinosaur landscape' or if I should paint a big clown face on it and cut a hole in his mouth for the children to throw beanbags into........... (Don't tell my husband I'm more excited by the box than the dishwasher tho.....) lol

What do you think? Dinosaur landscape or clown face??

I see your thinking! The dinosaur bit is one of the themes in child-initiated we have identified particularly amongst a group of boys so I think I'm coming from the point of view of keeping a balance..... maybe a trip back to the superstore skip is in order to get another box!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)