Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Maths Lessons

Trying to get my head around the renewed framework in reception - eek! Can anyone recommend a really good teacher resource book which has very detailed daily lesson plans? Have already got Scholastic's '100 maths lessons and more' but find some of the activities a bit boring. I need something that is easy to follow and halves the amount of planning time we have to do.

I can't recommend a good book although the abacus plans are good starting points - these can be downloaded off the hamilton trust website for free if your a friend of hamilton (or somthing like that!) The renewed framework for FS does not have half the guidance and content that the other yrs have (it directs you back to the EYFS) therefore we have been told not to do formal maths 'lessons' everyday but to do some sort of maths each day - with whole class coutning, number games etc and play based group activities that tie in with our topic. Are you structuring your maths as a 'lesson' at the moment? I'm not criticising but would just like to know - my DH thinks we need to go back to the more formal lessons in Reception in order to further improve standards.

We did 'team teaching' in Reception last year, my colleague taught Numeracy and I taught Literacy - separate sessions in Summer term. My colleague has previously taught Y1/Y2 and has used a much more formal approach than I use - consequently the Y1 teachers are amazed by the standards of Numeracy this year! We work in a very deprived area where chn. have imited experiences - the structure seems to work really well for them.

We have tried planning from their interests this term, but as they lack experiences they don't often bring anything new to the classroom - if we didn't provide new ideas I feel we may be letting them down.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)