Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Reception Class Information

Hi, I have never taught reception but have a job interview and would be grateful for any tips.

I have to bring in a portfolio which demonstrates good practice in one or more of 6 areas of learning.

I have taught year 1 and was hoping to differentiate some of this work.

I was thinking of '3 little pigs' speaking and listening activity and retelling.

Has anyone got a plan with this on or anything you think would be suitable and the accompanying lesson/weekly plan to go with it.

Also, I have to teach 8 children a numeracy lesson and would welcome ideas and lesson plans.

I was thinking of teaching shape, but do not have access to classroom resources and would have to buy them. So I was looking for a hands on maths activity which is easy to prepare.

Also, if anyone has a weekly timetable and medium term planning, that would be great to.

Hope all this makes sense, as you can see I am panicking!

Thank you for all your help.

Sue

Hi Sue,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your interview. :o You have a lot of questions there to be answered! You will find lots of this information is already available on the forum but you may have to search a little for it. There is a green button on the top right of your screen that says 'Search forum posts'. If you click on this it will take you to the search engine where you can type in some key words to find what you need. There are also some examples of plans in the Resource Library section of the forum - click on 'Resources' to the left of this page and you will find it there. I'm afraid I can't answer any of your questions more specifically as I am not a Reception teacher but I'm sure someone else will be along soon to help out. xD

3 little pigs is always a good one. I would become familiar with the 6 areas, particulalry PSE and CLL, then brainstorm any activities that you think link in with the 6 areas and with 3 little pigs, using the resources here too. Or take photos of anything/one in your classroom that looks like it fulfils some of criteria for activities in some of the 6 areas and then annotate it with comments from the profile for assessment (probably best to use your lower attainers from Y1 who may still be workign towards ELGs anyway.

Shape activities - you could take a selection of 3D and 2D shapes (clock, cardboard boxes, plate, etc.), do a sorting/ describing activity to get good language from the children - names of shapes, corners, sided, points, faces, etc. They could look for shapes around them in their environment. There are always some plastic shapes in classrooms that could be used to make and describe pictures, or sticky shapes to do the same.

Good luck!

Hi Sue,

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your interview. :o You have a lot of questions there to be answered! You will find lots of this information is already available on the forum but you may have to search a little for it. There is a green button on the top right of your screen that says 'Search forum posts'. If you click on this it will take you to the search engine where you can type in some key words to find what you need. There are also some examples of plans in the Resource Library section of the forum - click on 'Resources' to the left of this page and you will find it there. I'm afraid I can't answer any of your questions more specifically as I am not a Reception teacher but I'm sure someone else will be along soon to help out. xD

Thanks Beau. I'll try that.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)