Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Thrower

Hi

I have a 3 year old at our pre-school who throws everything and takes no notice when you ask her not to, the train set, cars seem to be a favourite, you try to encourage her to play with the toys, adult sits down sets up track etc, praises other children for playing nicely, tries to encourage her to play but she continues to throw it across the room, when you tell her no she takes no notice, when you remove her she screams, lays on the floor and throws a tantrum, then gets up and goes somewhere else to throw something else, i'm worried something is going to hit another child. We do have a child phych coming in but not for another 2 months, how do you deal with this sort of behaviour. I'm running out of ideas. She never plays with anything just throws everything across the room, i've tried giving her bean bags and buckets to chuck them in etc but she goes back to the trains, cars, building blocks etc...and throws them out of the box - one piece at a time. has anyone got any ideas of tactics to use?

we talked about children like this at our college course.........apparantly, it's a 'trajectory schema' and you need to give her more opportunities to throw things!! not funny though as I know...........we had an autistic child who used to do this constantly and actually broke several toys (he always managed to avoid hitting the other children with them though, thank goodness) .

I really don't know what to suggest, apart from the usual things, which you're doing already: balls into buckets , outside play where she can throw balls hoops etc..................or maybe those things can be used as the 'trade off'.................5 minutes throwing activities in return for a set amount of time playing more appropriately??

I was going to say schema too! We had a lad with the same and he was a whizz at golf so would also use anything he could find as a golf club! Trying to think what was on his ILP but it was a couple of years ago. We did have activities for more control as you and narnia have said. As well as the trade off, you could try time out if you do that in your setting. We had great big sand timers so it was very visual. It only works if the child understands 'if I do this, this will happen' of course. No point if they don't. If she's screaming, I would suggest quietly reminding her that 'we don't throw toys like trains because they might break or hurt somebody'. She won't want to listen but it'll give you something to focus on rather than how loud she's howling!

It goes without saying to praise after even a second of appropriate play. We were advised to keep it short so 'Nice playing' rather than 'good girl, you're playing with that train really well...'

Er... wish I could be more help because we had this and it was a huuuuge problem then we sorted it so easily and I can't remember how!!

Sounds very much like a trajectory schema. Can you do an internet search for more information or do you have reference books for ideas. Look for Piaget or Chris Athey.

We have this at our setting but not on the same scale. Our little boy can be easily distracted by giving him things he can throw like the bean bags into a bucket, kicking/throwing balls. What about balls that stick onto a velcro mat or a velcro dart board.

Have attached something on Schema from the Dorset County Council website, giving suggestions for other activities for each schema.

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=357248

Edited by Beau
Put in link instead of attachment

Has she been with you long?

We had a girl start in September, same age, did very similar, especially the tantrum after being diverted from the inappropropriatte behaviour. Then four weeks later she just changed, it seemed like a switch had been turned on and she saw the light !

We still have concerns about her development and possible asperger / autistic spectrum and awaiting Area Senco visit.

I agree with others advice, remain as consistent as possible, zero tolerance for throwing 'hard toys', make throwing games lots of fun, lots of adult interaction 'Wow you threw it this far, can you throw it further", use balls, bean bags, even scrunched up pieces of paper supplied in a basket that she can access herself when she gets the urge. Possibly introduce paper aeroplanes.

Agree also with the trade stratergy, maybe you could use an activity picture line for her ( sorry forgot what they are called ).

Produce some small cards showing activities, velcro onto a horizontal line on a larger peice of card - Put a picture of an adult choice activity, ie: do a puzzle, then a throwing activity ( or a picture of her throwing an appropriate peice of equipment) , then another adult activity etc etc, show her how to turn each picture over as she does it.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)