Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Teaching Playing Skills

Help needed please!

A few weeks ago a new child started my reception class. Due to difficult family circumstances, he has not had much contact with other children and seems to lack basic skills of communication (he does speak English at home.) He doen't seem to want to play with other children - either he doesn't want to or doesn't know how. I have spoken to the nursery which he attended for some months and they have said similar things.

Now he is becoming a little agressive with other chilren and I'm starting to get comlaints from parents that their children are scared of him.

I have tried circle time. I've tried modelling 'playing' different games in the playground, I've partnered him with various children in the class, I've tried to boost his self esteem, especially praising him in front of the others to try to encourage them to see his good points, but nothing is really working.

Does anyone have any ideas? Role play suggestions? Books I could refer to?

Thanks in antjcipation.

If I were you I would be using lots of visual aids- have you heard of widget - writing with symbols- very good for children who cannot speak English.

His behaviour is a result of insecurity and confusion as well as frustration, you need to get your bilingual support team in.

I use sign language- a lot is very basic and it would be a fantastic way to support this child.

Failing all this, you need to find your own visual ways of communicating with him. You need to be visual and active with your communication and encourage the other children to help you, so they learn to accept him, and he them

I hope this helps

Help needed please!

A few weeks ago a new child started my reception class. Due to difficult family circumstances, he has not had much contact with other children and seems to lack basic skills of communication (he does speak English at home.) He doen't

Hi leila

One of the children in our Year R sounds very similar. He now spends the afternoons in the nursery to support him with his social skills as it is thought that he may be finding the area in the classroom too restricting and the expexctations of having to sit longer may be causing him to be frustrated. Not the fault of the year R teacher just what management want! We also have a buddy system and he is paired with an older, sensible child(year 3) who plays with him and others during play and lunch.

We are hoping the nursery will be the answer for him and we will gradually build up his afternoons back in year R. It did work a couple of years ago for another little boy. (Hope you have an attached nursery?)

Hi

I came across this and think it may help you.

The positive power of friendship: an illuminative evaluation of the circle of friends approach within the primary and secondary school phases. Gill Taylor. Bristol Behavioural Educational Unit

I dont remember where I came across it as I am doing a research project but you can google it and see what happens. I know you are in reception but I am having a similar experience in pre-school so we used a heuristic basket and it worked. The boy went to play with it without prompting and then played alonside others. He still chooses mostly solitary play and has yet to speak but is starting to become animated at storytime.

Good luck!

Light bulb went off!! try and use the link bellow, bearing in mind I have never tried to add a link

http://education.guardian.co.uk/schools/st...,484853,00.html

Glad to help, I am going to cheat a bit and give you a website which will be more informative than me!

http://www.communityplaythings.co.uk/c/res...uristicplay.htm

Heuristic or treasure baskets are usually used with young children from around the age of 6 months upwards, however in the daycare part of the centre I work in we noticed that the older children like the occasional opportunity to access them as well. This is what made me think of using them for my boy who would't really play or interact with anyone or anything.

This was the introduction to play that "my" little boy needed, he jumped up to lift the flap in Dear Zoo today!!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)