Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Nappy/changing Policy

Ok, so I've even written a birthday policy so that sweets aren't handed out or cakes or anything that could cause a complaint or allergy,(am I going nuts here?!) :o but...nappies-help! :(

When our pre-school moves we will be in one room. The toilets will be adjacent and they have 2 x cubicles.

I was recently told we shouldn't have a drop down nappy changer and should use a mat on the floor, but how can we put a mat on the floor of the toilets? It doesn't seem to be hygenic.

Should we purchase a screen and have an area within the room for changing nappies or should we have blinds fitted for privacy and use the entrance foyer?

Any ideas are more than welcome.

Abby :(xD

We use the floor area but in our Disabled facilities - Ofsted were quite happy this. The main issue you will need to address alongside the hygiene one is maintaining the child's dignity if you have to use the existing toilets. One way around this is to have an 'engaged' type sign to hang on the door to the loos for those who can wait!!

I'll attach my policy and procedure for you in a minute but I've got to go and dye my 16 year old's hair ' NOW COS I'VE MIXED IT ALREADY!!!!!!!' Aren't teenagers charming?! :o

Edited by Guest

We also sometimes use the floor with a changing mat. We have one child who is just too heavy for us to lift onto the changing table.

After all you are using the changing mat for the child to lay on and not the floor, so I assume that you will clean that regularly with anti-bacterial spray, therefore I don't consider using the floor to be unhygenic. :o

We have a built in changing area for nappy changing but if the child was too heavy to lift we put the mat on the floor and anti-bac after use....just like you would after every change anyway. Ofsted were happy with this.

Back again - that was very smelly!!

We are talking nappies here LJW... :o

I guess the only problem with hygiene that I can see is the adult who will need to kneel on the floor whilst changing the child. We have a changing mat which we use in our accessible toilet. That way the door can be pulled to give the child some privacy but the adult is not left totally alone with the child.

We don't have the benefit of either a pull-down or mobile canging unit - so we've always done it this way.

Maz

We are talking nappies here LJW... :o

I guess the only problem with hygiene that I can see is the adult who will need to kneel on the floor whilst changing the child. We have a changing mat which we use in our accessible toilet.

Well not exactly 'in' you understand.... and obviously I can't type tonight - the fumes from the hair dye must have travelled through the ether and fuddled my brain. Well that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

Maz

Recently an Ofsted inspector told a friend who runs a childrens centre that they were unhappy with staff lifting children onto a pull down unit as the staff may hurt their backs.

Which is what led me to wonder if i would be ok using the loo floor-again as has been pointed out though, staff would have to kneel on the floor of the loos (currently a classroom loo at the school so v.wiffy).

Gosh isn't this ridiculous, asking whether we need a screen, who'se back will hurt most the adult who lifted the child or the adult who bends awkwardly to change the child on the floor (lol),

Abby :-)

Recently an Ofsted inspector told a friend who runs a childrens centre that they were unhappy with staff lifting children onto a pull down unit as the staff may hurt their backs.

Which is what led me to wonder if i would be ok using the loo floor-again as has been pointed out though, staff would have to kneel on the floor of the loos (currently a classroom loo at the school so v.wiffy).

Gosh isn't this ridiculous, asking whether we need a screen, who'se back will hurt most the adult who lifted the child or the adult who bends awkwardly to change the child on the floor (lol),

Abby :-)

I'd say write up the proverbial 'Risk Assessment' ( as well as policy!). I use a drop down changer AND the floor depending on the weight/ age/build/ temperament/ choice etc of the child.

I find the drop down changer very good for interaction with the child, it is at adult waist height, the child is comfortable, passes me the gloves etc, whereas on the floor I am the adult towering over the child, not as user friendly, I think, but necessary sometimes.

A risk assessment will ( or should ) be sufficient to stop an Inspector 'advising' ambiguous personal preference. (compared to judging to the care standards). What happens if the next Inspector has a different view and you no longer have a drop down changer?

Peggy

Thanks Peggy,

that makes perfect sense.

Abby,

and yes, I will reply to your message from earlier in the week - just been rushed off my feet - as you can see by my panicky topics! :o

• 4 weeks later...

We change children on the floor of the disabled toilet (largest loo) - children obviously on a changing mat which is cleaned after use - Staff have a gardening type kneeling mat which they put under their knees for comfort.

Ofsted happy with this when they visited.

We use both a mat on the floor and a changing station depending on the weight of the child.

We were advised that we should place something between the mat and the floor, a piece of vinyl or a shower curtain, that sort of thing.

PEZ 1/12/07

We have a nappy changing unit within our disabeld toilet. It was quite costly (from Community Playthings) and is quite large. Made of lovely wood with a padded area where the children lay. It has steps for the children to climb to get on to it, an integral nappy bin and a storage area beneath. This reduces any risk to adults backs or knees and, as it is higher, the adult is not in a threatening position to the child and the shelf at the end ensures gloves wipes etc are accessible. However, as I said earlier it is expensive but staff have found it invaluable. we use it with children from 2 - 4 but it is obviously suitable for use with younger children.

We use both a mat on the floor and a changing station depending on the weight of the child.

We were advised that we should place something between the mat and the floor, a piece of vinyl or a shower curtain, that sort of thing.

PEZ 1/12/07

We have a nappy changing unit within our disabeld toilet. It was quite costly (from Community Playthings) and is quite large. Made of lovely wood with a padded area where the children lay. It has steps for the children to climb to get on to it, an integral nappy bin and a storage area beneath. This reduces any risk to adults backs or knees and, as it is higher, the adult is not in a threatening position to the child and the shelf at the end ensures gloves wipes etc are accessible. However, as I said earlier it is expensive but staff have found it invaluable. we use it with children from 2 - 4 but it is obviously suitable for use with younger children.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)