Hi all

I plan for my reception class using 6 topics:

Aut 1 Ourselves

Aut 2 Colour light and celebration

Spr 1 Weather and water

Spr 2 Plants and animals

Sum 1: Stories

Sum 2:Transport

Do people think this is still the best way to go?

what I do is take a sub topic each week e.g. in Aut 1 we looked at nursery rhymes, senses, homes, school/community etc.

This term AUt 2 we have gone of on a bit of a tangent with a bears week-we have a tenuious link to light and dark with a cave role play etc-but lots more bear activites. Does this seem ok to others?

Some times i think i provide may lovely experience but struggle to justify the 'learning' that has taken place or struggle to see a progression of skills in areas such as creative, PSE, Physical and KUW.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I use the FSP to plan from but does anyone have anything that shows a little clearer skills progression?

Hope you can help

Natasha

Hi teacherinpink,

I've deleted your double post from the SEN section.

I'll leave responses to your query to fellow reception teachers, who I am sure will be long soon.

Peggy

FSP is your assessment document. FSCG/ EYFS is your planning tool.

Stepping stones and ELGs are skills, attitudes and knowledge.

Im not quite sure how your mini themes relate to your topics.

I think it is ok to offer a topic and see where the children take you especially in September when you do not know them, as long as you are flexible and work with the children.

I do agree that some of the lovely experiences can be difficult to justify in terms of learning objectives and could be difficult with Ofsted.

Not sure Im answering your questions though so will be interesting to see what others say.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)