Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Committee Involvement

Please help I am new to committee ran management - How involved are your committee's with individual children's records?

My committee are unsure about what information we should be discussing outside the running of the setting in that a child's name was mentioned at a meeting and there was a little uproar about confidentiality - what I wondered was what do other committee's do?

The child mentioned has SEN and there are other children with issues, we are unsure how ethical it is ? There are things to talk about which involve individuals - I know we can mention no names but should we be discussing them at all?

When I was in a pre-school, the Committee were really there for fund-raising, events etc. They were invited to planning meetings but rarely came. If they were present issues such as SEN, children's personal files etc would not be discussed. After all, they all knew the other parents and it would not have been at all ethical!

Sue

unless there are decisions to be made regarding the care of this child which involves extra funds or staffing then I dont mention it as it is part of the everyday agend of which they have employed me to organise.

However if i do need to set up extra staff or ask for money to fund staff then I will speak to the chair who will make the decison with another key officer.I do not need to mention the childs name however.

Te reason is to protect the child and parents altho you will have committee members who are ok they are still parents and it is wrong they will have info on another parents child.

Also a parent of a child with sen was on the committee last year so there is no way we should be discussing her child.

Thankyou, I knew it seemed wrong to be discussing children, but a committee member questioned it, she thinks they should be in very aspect of pre-school - taking her committee role a little too seriously, xD I would like them to fund raise but it seems every idea they have involves lots of work for me :o

Don't want to be too negative they are all lovely, interested business-minded people.

Thanks again everyone.

I think it is beneficial for committee members to understand the broad nature of their employees roles and responsibilities, so discussions about SEN, and all other policies is essential. However, agree with others, this does not extend to talking about individuals, parents or children. On the other side of the coin if the treasurer has a problem with a parent paying fees, it would be detrimental to relationships if this persons identity was known to the supervisor, yet the treasurer could discuss fees payments as a general topic with all concerned.

Maybe a revue of the confidentiality policy would be a good discussion point for the next committee meeting, what it actually means, why it is important and how it is expected to be put into practice by all stakeholders. :o

Peggy

Don't be too hard on them shirl, they have probably just had a suitable persons check done on them by Ofsted who has asked how they ensure that this that or the other is being done correctly. Since they are the ones who would be up in the dock if things went to court, well the chair would be, they may feel in an uncomfortable position.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)