Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Carpet Times

How many carpet times do you have in reception and what do you do in them?

At the moment in my school we have 3-4. One of which is always phonics, and the others vary (story, shared writing, etc). We are feeling very pressured at the moment (although nothing has been directly said) towards literacy/numeracy focus. It is a complete nightmare trying to fit it in.

I know fitting things in is always going to be an issue but how do others manage?

Hi there,

I understand totally about "not fitting everything in". It's really is just a nightmare trying to please everybody (Literacy/Numeracy co-ordinators!!!) along with what we know the children SHOULD be doing. :o

However, what I do is the class is separated into two, for the first part of the morning one group is outside whilst the other group has either a Literacy/Mathematics focus (alternate days). Immediately after playtime we have a 15 minute phonic session altogether, and then the two groups swop over. In the afternoon we have timetabled activities (ICT, PE) or topic work which usually involves some form of carpet work. For the last session of the day, again there is a carpet session (Music, RE, Circle Time, Story).

So we are probably having about the same amount of carpet time as yourself. Hope this is of some help, but I always feel I am not really presenting the Foundation Stage as it ought to be, I do try to offer the children lots of opportunity for child initiated activities (both indoors and out), but like you, I do wish we weren't so pressurised from "above".

Hello,

Yes, I feel the same! I work in an ISP school in Camden and it's a nightmare. There is so much pressure to show that the children are progressing, we need to track the children by Christmas and am trying to stay calm about it all because I feel I'm still getting to know my children!

I have 3 directed carpet sessions, 1 first thing which combines tne register, calender and leads into CLLD, after play we have a numeracy carpet focus and then just before lunch a 15-20 minute phonics session. The afternoon is very much child intiated - which I find very hectic, and not very directed at all, the children don't seem to go to the maths area at all! or my book corner, which makes me feel a bit anxious... but I can't force them to go there if it's child intiated can I? They have total access to what's on the shelf... I feel I don;t do much KUW or CD focuses, and struggle to accomodate child initiated KUW, I don't really...

I hope I've helped, but am a bit stuck myself... sorry.

Natasha

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)