Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Assessment In Reception

I try to write comments during the sessions and then sometimes i will set up something if i feel it needs assessing. I find it easy to say what they don't know but sometimes i find it difficult to write down achievements. Any ideas on continued assessment, thanks again ger

I recommend any of Vicky Hutchin's books on observing and assessing - very easy to read, lots of examples and suggestions of what to look for.

REcord what they are doing in terms of FSP outcomes - maybe note the scale points it relates too. It's better to record what they can do I think - later on evidence of what they can't do doesn't help with the FSP judgements!

Do you record everyday? do you stick it on post its, do you record in the booklets?

Ger, there are lots of different ways of recording. You need to find something that works for you!

You could try looking in the profile section and perhaps searching there. Post its are one way you could do this.

The booklets are optional and might help, you can scribe directly into them you but the eprofile is more manageable in my opinion.

Hope that helps a bit.

HI

we do group assessment for the groups we work with every day we put the lerning intention and the fsp e.g ssm4 at the top and then during the session note which children can / can not etc. we also use posi it notes every day these are then transfered into our assessment folders along with observations and photographs.

I'ld be doing narrative observations where I would observe one child and write a full 10 min ob which i would analyse for areas of strength etc, probably 2 x per term per child minimum

Then you have the "captured moments" obs where a child does/says something significant which I would get down on a post it or the like to stick in my filing system On this I'ld note the possible fsp scale points or the areas of learning demonstrated.

Photos/recordings/independent samples of work etc - annotated as they are collected.

Work in any books - annotated and left where they are!!

Adult directed activities - notes of children's comments or strategies etc.

Golden rule is NEVER to copy out anything - if it's a comment in a book don't waste time copying it into a record, I would just put the point, date and the place the evidence would be found - e.g. 19/11/07, LSL 6, writing book.

You can't plan for the amazing things children will do or say but you capture them in the best way at the time - but evidence is everything "recorded or unrecorded" that you know about your children so you have to rest assured you won't get everything!!! FSP evidence needs to come from 80% independent work so you need to have a working overview of the points and what they may look like when chn exhibit the skills or knowledge etc towards them. Planning time to be in areas where children are working and joining in with their activities (not clutching a pile of post it's waiting for something to happen - a pet hate of mine in the classes I support!!)will give you insights into their language for thinking, application of skills etc.

Keeping an eye on which children you see doing things compared to those you don't can be useful - we all have inch thick files of the child who just sticks stuff under our noses all the time and then there's the one who doesn't who has a very thin file and often i find this is the middle ability child when I moderate!!

Look at how you keep/use your formative ongoing observational assessments to inform your planning and then consider when you will update your summative record in whatever format you keep it (optional booklet, class grid etc) using all that knowledge!!

Hope that helps - Cx

Edited by catma

• 4 months later...
FSP evidence needs to come from 80% independent work

Is there somewhere 'official' that says this - is this statutory? It would be really helpful to me if there is to defend against all the top-down stuff that you get in a reception class in a primary school - would help me to have that information to hand next time I'm having the old child-initiated v directed discussion! :o

Emma

If its any help I have an 'I can do wall', which is a shaped piece of paper for each child where we write comments down as we go along always written in a what can do form and positive,These are captured moments where we notice things. These are just filed away as they are, half termly. I look through them when I fill in profiles and this helps. They can be read by all staff and can be used to help us when planning and it suggests next steps. I also often infom the child that I am writing this down and making explicit to them what the learning is they are doing, encouraging a sense of achievement and developing knowledge of their own learning and the learning process. 'I wonder what you might learn next' is a comment I often make then.

I totally agree with Susan about finding something that works for you. I personally could not cope with post its and having to stick them on paper and keep turning to each appropriate file, page area of learning e.t.c.

i use a right old mixture of strategies they dont all lend themselves to beautifully kept records far from it but they are there to inform me the next steps and as the year unfolds to be the evidence to my filing out of fsp points

i use post its to stick on a small display board which has all childrens names in stars around a central wording of I am a star at learning all my incidentals go on here amy has been kind when playing outside Joe can now count to 10 etc these are all written on postits and stuck on board and updated regularly

i have a whole class and group tick style sheet with activity at top then learning objective then table of all children with d.o.b. always on with a column for ticks ie in completeion of work and next steps column - sometimes i write if child doesnt understand activity and what or if they extended activity and moved on to further outcomes if left blank the child met my learning objective outcome all ta.s use it when working with group

i have observation sheet for each area of fsp with profile point written on and space for comment and every child has these kept in a folder which i update half termly and any photocopied work or photographs are stored here too and general observation sheets for ie outdoor play role-play co-operation etc at end of year each child makes a photo album these folders inform foundation stage profile but dont go up to next class.

i fill in all required school assessment - guided reading etc phonics

i update fspp every term using my own personal judgement back up by any evidence gathered

and i finally keep a beautiful quality work book which the child has chosen work for i include rhymes paintings photos and comments made bythe child at the time I must admit these are hard work but the joy the parent and hcild have at sharing these books is worth it

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)