Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Help- My Class Is Doubling In Size In January!

I've just found out that as of January I have 32 reception children in my class.

To cut a long story short, I currently have a class of 16 with a parallel class also having 16. The teacher of the other class is leaving at Christmas. There is also another teacher going on maternity leave from December. As a school with have tried to employ 2 new teachers. The first time they advertised there was only 2 applicants, so they readvertised. Interviews were meant to be held tomorrow but we are left with only 1 candidate to interview as the others have all got jobs in the meantime. Assuming the other teacher's interview goes ok, she'll get the job to cover the teacher on maternity leave.

Which means there are 16 lovely reception children with no teacher. I have been asked by my head and governing body if I will be able to have them all in my class. They have said that I will have at least 2 TA's with me at all times. I'm quite excited actually!

I've got the next couple of weeks to get up to speed with were all the children are up to and am hoping to get in and observe them loads.

Anyway enough of me wittering on. I realise that some of you have new intakes in January, although the children I'll inherit have already had a term in Recetion. Just wondering if you fantastic people have any advice or ideas you could pass on. Thank you. xx

Glad that you are excited about the prospect. I think that if you have in effect 1 extra TA for the other 2 children (over the standard 1 teacher/ 1 TA for 30 children) then there shouldn't be too much trouble adjusting... it is a leap when you are used to having 16 but 30 is the standard class size anyway. I am not sure about the legalities of having 2 teachers like Marion said, so you might want to clarify that with the head and governors- but most school's budget wouldn't stretch to 2 teaching salaries for 32 children.

Also don't forget to inform the parents as I am sure you will have done as this will impact on them too... Best of luck though

Glad you're excited Bethie but when my ex head did that for 36 children she had her knuckles severely wrapped and had to find another teacher.

Im going to have a class of 12 in January, the other class is 24 at the moment! My room is half the size too though!

Make sure you get the support you need for the extra paperwork!

I also like Marion think the maximum number for one teacher is 30, no matter how mant TAs you have.

We were always told the legal maximum is 1 teacher =30 children.

Children aged four and over in reception classes in maintained schools

Reception classes in maintained schools are subject to infant class size legislation. The School Standards and Framework Act (as amended by the Education Act 2002) limits the size of infant classes to 30 pupils per school teacher. ‘School teachers’ do not include teaching assistants, higher level teaching assistants or other support staff. Consequently, a school must employ sufficient school teachers to enable it to teach its infant classes in groups of no more than 30 per school teacher.

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/eyfs/reso...y-frame-app.pdf

Marion,

I'm finding this topic really interesting. I will have 31 children in my class in January and it will just be me and my TA. However, there is another adult (not a teacher) in the class working with a visually impaired child. This is not the first time we have had over 30 in our Reception class (always with just 1 teacher and 1 TA.) This is because the Ombudsmen (I think that is how you spell it) seems to have the final power when parents appeal to get their children into our school. We have been told that the '30' rule applies to Years 1 and 2 only!?!

I have 30 children in my class with 4 going to appeal and my head in a panic because he has stated he will need another teacher if we go over 30. The other alternative is to put some of the children into a mixed R/Y1 class if numbers permit.

This is taken directly from the EYFS "Children aged four and over in reception classes in maintained schools

Reception classes in maintained schools are subject to infant class size legislation. The School Standards and Framework Act (as amended by the Education Act 2002) limits the size of infant classes to 30 pupils per school teacher. ‘School teachers’ do not include teaching assistants, higher level teaching assistants or other support staff. Consequently, a school must employ sufficient school teachers to enable it to teach its infant classes in groups of no more than 30 per school teacher."

Edited by Marion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)