Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Assessments

If anyone could let me know how they carry out their observations and assessments I would be very grateful.

I am currently taking over from a nursery teacher and the assessments need to be re-structured. I plan to create a portfolio for each child and this will hold children's work, observations, photos and group assessments. The main thing I am stuck on is how to create a method where I dont use the Early Years Profile booklets. The reason I cant use them is because the reception class where I work do not work from these profiles. Would this be a problem? If so, what alternative method could i use???

When I was teaching Nursery last year I had a portfolio for each child as you say holding all relevant evidence and I recorded assessments made in a booklet which contained all the stepping stones up to the early learning goals. Having taken the same children through to reception this year I found that this gave me a good baseline to work from. each child had their own booklet and I highlighted statements as the children achieved them.

The fact that reception is a continuation of the FSC your final assessments at the end of nursery should be able to be transfered onto a record of transfer ( try a search for examples of these) for the Reception teacher to work from.

There are two reasons for assessments, the main one I think is to inform planning within the setting they are in, the second being transfer of information to a new setting. The method you use for assessment should be workable to inform YOUR planning and fit in with YOUR methods / styles of teaching relevant to the childs needs. Reception will formulate their own assessment methods to fit in with their styles of teaching. Therefore no system is fully integratable ( I think I just made that word up!!) to another setting. Speak with reception teacher to find out what would be the best way for them for you to present your assessments which gives the most useful information, considering also that the reception teacher will do his/her own baseline assessments.

Peggy

p.s. I've answered your PM

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)