Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Phonics, Literacy And Time Management

Hello All,

I know that a similar topic has been raised recently in terms of what to teach and this question is an extension from that.

I am an NQT with a Reception class of 30 and experienced ta. I have been following JP and Letters and Sounds and we have reached the end of the JP phonics programme. The question now is how to structure the phonics and literacy; where to go from here?

The issue being time during the day. When teaching discrete phonic sessions I have grouped the children according to ability, but this can take up to an hour each day. How do you teach discrete phonic sessions, Literacy also and retain a balanced curriculum?

Help!

Hi Emma and welcome.

Thats an interesting question and after the day Ive had, Ive no brain power to attempt to answer you.

I have always tended to do my phonics teaching whole class although the current thinking seems to be to teach phonics across the school with each adult having a different group or phase to work with which means phonics can be taught in a 15-20 min slot.

Hi

I too have 30 in my Reception class and a TA in the morning.I manage my phonic sessions by splitting the class into 2 groups and I focus on one phonic phase and my TA on another. It's the only way I can cope. Some children are consolidating learning but both groups are making good progress.

i do similiar i split between ta and me and i try and do at same time each day usually as we come in from lunch or in morning so i have time to get resources placed near to my teaching its the collection of resources and organisation of children i find mostly wastes time but i must admit its taken me till now to train children in playing the games and getting resources ready my 20 mins were more like 40 mins i make sure i swop with ta now and again so i can ensure correct progression also my ta is repeating my first terms lessons so she has an idea of what to do and its catch up consolidating to those who struggled to recognise hear write sounds first time round

Hello n welcome!

If you've finished Jolly phonics, look for other digraphs in Phase 3 of Letters and sounds. If you've covered those n you've assessed them as ready to move on then you're onto Phase 4 adjacent consonants (blends/clusters). Lucky you!

Good luck

Moo

x

Hi

I am taking part in a national CLLD project and so have been lucky to have support in implementing letters and sounds. I teach my whole reception class (30) for 20 minutes every day. The idea being that everyone should be included, however, if you have children who are working below they should take part in a catch up programme. I have trained all TA's in Letters and sounds so that they are really aware of the structure and expectations. It has really helped so all teachers are able to pass on their planning and resources to a TA to work with those who need extra help. Phasing the class has also helped with this and we hope to set up a system where TA's will work with groups (any age) depending on what phase they working within.

HOpe that helps

Munch

I'm a reception class teacher with a class of 30. We are also part of the CLLD programme.

We have 3 groups all working at different phases.

We have 3 activities rotating so they do basic skills/ independent activity/ phonics (with me) 15 mins for each group.

This has worked for our school and all children have progressed really well. We do a seperate phonics (catch up) session for a new girl that has joined us at a lower phase to the other children.

Amy

Hi Amy and welcome, thank you for making your first post.

It would probably help if you could explain the sort of things that you do in each section please, ie basic skills etc. Do all 3 activities take 15 mins in total or separately and how long does the session run in all?

Thanks.

Hello again,

Thanks for your replies they have been most helpful, and enabled me to look at things from a different angle.

I am keen to find out what you do in your 15 minutes Amy, I think this is probably the bit I need to get right first and the rest will slot into place.

In my school the literacy co-ordinator (year 3 teacher) is planning on having a phonic session across yrs 1 2 and 3 as there are a wide range of abilities. Reading some of your ideas about phasing the children it sounds as though that would work quite well for us also.

Thanks for your words of encouragement Cherry, it would be good if the immune system adjusts too! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)