Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Outdoor Play Ideas That Cost Not A Lot

As a co-ordinator of a pre-school setting I was appalled at the lack of imagination being used in the outdoor provision in our establishement.

Since I started I have contacted the local harbourmaster and aquired a derelict rowing boat, National tyres are only too glad to pass on their tyres (we have 2 tractor tyres we use as focus activity areas - lego, sticklebricks etc) and our loca; outdoor pursuit centre has let us borrow a whole selection of camping gear.

We use our outdoor area all year.

We have a grass area and a safety surfaced playground, which we utilise all year round (we have a box of wellies, macs and umbrellas) with bikes, scooters, balls, and space hoppers, alongside a large wall mounted chalkboard, which we also clip paper to, and also a large scale weaving frame ( a piece of plastic squred garden fencing in a frame) as well as a gardrening area, complete with child sized tools.

Our recent (although not OFSTED, inspection was very positive, in that although we had to travel down 2 flights of stairs to use the facilitiies, we offered a "considerable range" of outdoor activities to the children

This environment has been made possible by the dogged determination of myself and another member of staff (who I will be sorry to lose as she goes on to further her studies) in only 3 months.

Not only do we use this equipment, but an after-school and holiday centre use it (they are up to 16 years of age, tyres can hace many uses!!!!!)

Our Isle of Man Nursery Inspection Team were very what we could offer, what OFSTED may think is another matter. Having said that, by the time our children have got down 2 flights of safe stairs and gone outside to play, maybe anything goes !!!!!!!

That's wonderful!! I think I'm safe to say, that would have gone down well with our Ofsted Inspector.

Janet - we have spoken regarding your pre-school/nursery provision - why is there this diference? Different staff? I'm interested to hear more, even enter a large-scale dialogue, here. PM or email if you want, it's too interesting to leave! Could be a Topic? Just revisited your post - it's different groups! Do you have communication? Could you get together? Has potential! Suitably supervised, obviously!! :)

Certainly interested, just been asked to do Holiday Club (again :o - not my forte!!)

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)