Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Playdough

Hi does anyone have a playdough recipe that does not use cream of tartar? Local Tescos say that it has been discontinued!! !! I have made playdough for years but always with the same recipe which includes cream of tartar :o Being observed tomorrow so I need to make sure the children can actually use whatever I make xD

Thankyou

Cream of tartar is a preservative which means the dough lasts for a wekk.If you are being observed tomorrow make the dough without it will be ok.But it is worrying

I had a dough question this week so will ask...

Before I experiment has anyone made dough in a microwave or has a recipe for one?

This will make a glossy, glitter dough.

You will need:

* 3 cups of plain flour

* 1 cup of salt

* 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil

* tablespoon of black non-toxic paint

* water for mixing

* silver glitter

Mix all the dry ingredients in a bowl and add enough water and paint to make a stiff dough with a dark colour. The children might like to help you make it!

And tell Tesco they are depriving young children of a valuable learning resource!

Cream of tartar is a preservative which means the dough lasts for a wekk.If you are being observed tomorrow make the dough without it will be ok.But it is worrying

I had a dough question this week so will ask...

Before I experiment has anyone made dough in a microwave or has a recipe for one?

I hope you don't have trouble getting cream of tartar. This is the one I have with preschool dough recipes but have not tried it myself!

MICROWAVE PLAYDOUGH

2 mugs of plain flour

2 mugs of salt

2 mugs of cold water

2 tspns of oil

food colouring

4 tspns of Cream of Tartar

Mix all ingredients together in large microwavable bowl.

Cook in microwave for 1 minute on high power.

Remove and stir well.

Cook in microwave for 1 minute more.

Knead well

Let me know!

Well i sent the hubby and thats what tescos told him!!!!! No tescos own and no supercook either!!!! I did find a few dregs in an old tub so have just made some in the microwave but its seems a bit sticky????? I will save yopur recipes though for future use :o Thankyou all so much x

we always make our playdoh in microwave with children involved all the way- apart from hot bits, obviously! good KUW opportunity.

Thought it was just my Tesco that had no c of t- didn't realise it was national- will have to stockpile from Sainsburys!

You star, mundia!!!

Not just the cream of tartar, but so many brilliant ideas!!!!!

Last summer I despaired of getting a mark out of a favourite cream skirt, then remembered mum rinsing my blonde sister's hair in a diluted lemon juice rinse - so I squirted the offending area with lemon juice and pegged out on a sunny day..... VOILA! miracle results :o

Stumbled on by accident, but now proven.

I seem to be on my own here...............but I have never used cream of tartar in playdough! We don't cook our playdough either and it usually last a good few days. We also let the children make the playdough independantly. ( I am in Pre-school setting) I am working on recipe sheets for them to follow I will try and attach one as an example. We put the ingrediants out on the table and leave them to it. The next recipe sheet will probably be made by the children using photographs as on this one I forgot to put in where to add the colour which was pointed out to me by a 3 year old!!

playdough.doc

microwave playdough:

2 cups of plain flour

2 cups of salt

1 1/2 cups water

4 tsps cream of tartar

2tbls cooking oil

food coluring

Mix all ingredients together. Microwave for 60 secs, take out and mix.

Put back in microwave for 90 seconds. Mix again.

Back in microwave for 30 seconds.

Comes out a little sticky sometimes, but just add some more flour.

Lasts about 4/6 weeks.

What a great idea Wendles- I never thought of letting the children make it without an adultt. It would be brilliant because it always ties up an adult when they could be doing other stuff. All of my children have had a chance of making it with an adult previously so I suppose this would be the next step. I will have to change my recipe though as we always use the microwave- it lasts for 2-3 weeks! You have definately given me something to think about!

I have the most excellent playdough recipe and i made some about 6 weeks ago and it's still going strong!! (Stored in the fridge that is!)

Dry Ingredients

1 cup of flour

half cup of salt

1 tbsp cream of tartar

Wet Ingredients

1 Cup of boiling water from kettle then add to the water 1tbsp of oil and a few drops of your chosen colour, then simply add to the dry ingredients and stir!

No cooking, no microwaving and it's super soft and lasts for ages!!

aisha

xoxo

I have always used cream of tartar in the different playdoughs I've made, without it ends up sticky.

I went into Tesco today and couldn't find the c of t on the shelf where it usually is. I asked at the help desk, the lady looked on the computer and told me that was no stock on the shelf (I told her that !!!) She did tell me though, that on 3 March they were REINTRODUCING it. I suppose that means that it will be in a newly designed tub and, of course, cost more !!!

I have some left in the tub here at home - so I guess I can wait for the REINTRODUCTION of the cream of tartar at Tesco

Sue J

• 1 month later...

In your recipe, when you say add the colour, do you use food colouring or paint?

I am totally obsessed with finding he holy grail of the perferct playdough recipe! I read an article in EYE years ago that said to always use ready mixed paint as it will produce more vivid coloured playdough, but when I make playdough with paint rather than food colouring, it's always a it sticky, especially after a day of being used. :o

Does anyone have excellent playdough recipe using ready mixed paint? I want to do fluorescent playdough...

I have the most excellent playdough recipe and i made some about 6 weeks ago and it's still going strong!! (Stored in the fridge that is!)

Dry Ingredients

1 cup of flour

half cup of salt

1 tbsp cream of tartar

Wet Ingredients

1 Cup of boiling water from kettle then add to the water 1tbsp of oil and a few drops of your chosen colour, then simply add to the dry ingredients and stir!

No cooking, no microwaving and it's super soft and lasts for ages!!

aisha

xoxo

• 2 weeks later...
In your recipe, when you say add the colour, do you use food colouring or paint?

I am totally obsessed with finding he holy grail of the perferct playdough recipe! I read an article in EYE years ago that said to always use ready mixed paint as it will produce more vivid coloured playdough, but when I make playdough with paint rather than food colouring, it's always a it sticky, especially after a day of being used. :o

Does anyone have excellent playdough recipe using ready mixed paint? I want to do fluorescent playdough...

i use powder paint which stops it going sticky!!

Sorry for the late reply but I use food colouring(the little liquid bottles), I had a cake decorating phase so I've got loads! Lol! By mixing the colours you can get some beautiful shades, My fav is purple!! This really is a good recipe xoxo

aisha

:o Can anyone help? we are a;ll having trouble making our playdough as it is really crumbely and the last time we made it we had to involve the children in a group scrap the floor activity as the mess was horrendous!!!!!!!! the recipe that we were given is 2 cups of flour,1cup salt,1tablespoon oil,1tablespoon creaam of tartre,water and food colouring mixed. any advice would be gratefully received as we have just brought some lovely new playdough tools and also downloaded great playdough resource from sparkle box which we want to use.

Playdough making is def. a skill and even when you have perfected it - it can suddenly disappear. I make playdough regularly to the above recipe and then suddenly for no apparent reason it will go wrong i.e. go sticky within a day. We blame the flour, the weather, the way it is played with but no-one has ever been able to say why this happens. And then the next lot can be fine. Does it happen to anyone else?

One of my staff organises a 'playdough and pizza' evening about once a term. About half a dozen parents spend a social evening making a huge batch of playdough in different colours, adding scents, glitter etc. It is all stored in airtight tubs and we just bring out whichever colour suits what we are doing. It will usually last all term. (unless its been spread round the room and tramped into the carpet!)

:o just tried the playdough recipe with kettle water this is the best playdough i have made thanks for the details. i have had a practice run with my own children 2 and a half and a 9 year old . they each made their own batch with my help withthe water. Im off to buy bulk loads of ingredients for the preschool kids to make next week.!!!!!!!!!!!

:o just tried the playdough recipe with kettle water this is the best playdough i have made thanks for the details. i have had a practice run with my own children 2 and a half and a 9 year old . they each made their own batch with my help withthe water. Im off to buy bulk loads of ingredients for the preschool kids to make next week.!!!!!!!!!!!

No problem!! I did exactly the same thing, my son came down the next morning and had 4 different coloured playdough to play with, he was over the moon and i really enjoyed making it!! I can't take the credit as it was something I found on the net, i searched for ages for the perfect recipe - i'm too lazy to bother with saucepans and microwaves!

aisha

xoxo

Yes, Marion, I have now got some cream of tartar. As it has been off the shelves for some time, I have asked various friends to keep a look out for me and lo and behold I've had quite a few phone calls from friends this week, saying they have bought the cream of tartar when they saw it at the supermarket.

I AM NOW THE OWNER OF 9 TUBS OF CREAM OF TARTAR !!!!! :oxD

Sue J

• 3 years later...
Playdough making is def. a skill and even when you have perfected it - it can suddenly disappear. I make playdough regularly to the above recipe and then suddenly for no apparent reason it will go wrong i.e. go sticky within a day. We blame the flour, the weather, the way it is played with but no-one has ever been able to say why this happens. And then the next lot can be fine. Does it happen to anyone else?

Yes I have found the same thing happening, I think it becomes sticky when it hasn't been cooked long enough in the first instance.

I have never been successful with the hot water from the kettle version either, has to be the saucepan job for me!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)