Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Any Ideas On Pattern/environment For An Ofsted Inspection?

Hi everyone !

I was wondering whether any of you experts out there could share any maths activities based on the theme of pattern and the environment that are little bit different or worked really well?? I would really appreciate it as this is for a one day Ofsted inspection that has just been sprung on us, which a pregnant teacher could really do without!!

Many thanks in advance!

Have you thought about doing wax crayon rubbings in your environment both indoors and out;

what about looking at pattern in different cultures African prints/ Islamic prayer mats- you could recreate these with your own mats in fabric or on the IWB?

Designing a pair of patterned knickers for the Queen ( read the 'Queen's knickers) or Nick Sharrats book on pattern 'My mum and dad make me laugh' or 'Pants'

Look at a range of patterned gift wrap and make your own

Use the tile icon in a paint program to make repeated patterns

Make bookmarks- have a range of laminated strips of card with drawn repeating patterns on them e.g. 2 blue x 1 orange square etc. Let the children recreate these patterns and make up their own- they can use felts/was/pastels etc

You could also take close up photos of patterns in your environment e.g the pattern on a drain cover etc and children have to be detectives and go on a pattern hunt to see if they can locate them- once found they could take a photo of the pattern showing its location and what it actually related to.

I wonder, although great activities, patterns photographed in the environment, would this not be seen as more KUW than Maths?

How about pattern sequences, made in to 'wallpaper' ( using paint/print or thick markers) or noticing pattern sequences in the environment, sequences making it more 'maths' based.

How about weaving, black/white or other alternative colours to make patterns, extend to a 3,4,5 different colour weave sequence.

Symmetrical patterns, use mirrors on drawn shapes are they symmetrical with mirror/without mirror ( extend -draw some symmetrical and non symmetrical shapes)

Patterns in musical beats using a small block in each hand to sound out patterns, (bang together or on the floor) ie: 2 (pause) 3 (pause) 2 (pause) what comes next?

In fact small block play is great for making patterns, combining different numbers of blocks hrizontally, vertically and in sequences.

Good luck, have fun. :o

Peggy

Making edible patterns using red licorice laces and thread on Weetos in alternate colours/shades or fruit loops

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)