Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Records Of Achievement

We will be introducing the Record of Achievement recording system in September when I take over as supervisor. I would appreciate everyones hiccups, remedies and experiences of this. Also how many Pre-schools implement this already? Is it just a Bucks County thing?

Thank you

Angie :o

Hi Angie

Is this a system set up by Bucks specifically for pre-schools etc in that area? We have a record of achievement in our pre-school but it is something we have developed in our own group. We have nothing specific in Stockport so each group does their own thing.

Linda

Records of achievement- are we not moving away from this system. In my nursery we were told only to pass on the profile maps and everything else was discarded. Things that are passed on from pre-school also get put away in dark corners only to be binned at a later date.

Hi, I'm not in preschool so can't comment specifically but do you mean the indivdual record books/folders that we are being encouraged to keep as evidence sources for profiles?

I assumed so until I read the responses!

If so, look at the profile handbook. Have you had training in profiles?

We have only been given Foundation stage record of achievement booklet.

I was under the (misguided) impression that the profile handbook was for reception class i.e. the end of the foundation stage!

Much thanks for your replies

Angie

P.S. What a fabulous new forum. Aren't the powers that be clever! :o

Hi Angie

I haven't seen or heard of the Foundation Stage ROA booklet. Have you had it long? Does it have a reference number on it somewhere that you could post for us? I could then have a look on the QCA site or elsewhere. Thanks

Linda

I've not heard of that either, Linda. Would be interesting to know more.

Angie, you're right the burden of the profiles does tend to fall to the Reception Class teacher but settings that have children who are within the Reception year should have regard to the profile ie if the child is 5 within the current school year they are technically in the Reception year, even if not at school.

Perhaps this is a way of addressing the role that settings can play in the profile, even if the child is not in that setting at the time the profile is completed.

As the Reception teacher I value any information that can be passed on to aid my assessments, it is unbelievablyweighty document to get a handle on quickly. I can only hope it will become easier with time and familiarity.

Guest Beryl

Hi Angie,

In Southampton we have Record of Achievement booklets that were introduced in September 2003 after a trial in 2002/3. I think ours are or will be compulsory for all settings (in the Southampton area) to fill out from September 2004. At the moment there is a debate going on as to whether or not Reception teachers want this much information!

Our ROAs are basically most of the stepping stones and ELGs with a date for "ahieved sometimes/with support" and a date for "achieved independently." There is a blank page opposite for "evidence"

They are very time consumung to complete and not, in my opinion, parent friendly but we are gradually getting used to them now.

If yours are similar to ours, we have found it helpful to write obsrevations on stickers so that they can be stuck straight into the ROA otherwise re-writing observations for evidence is very time-consuming

Hope this helps!

Thanks to everyones responses,

The contents of the booklet are;

1. Assessment and planning cycle

2a Initial meeting form

2b All about me booklet

3a Foundation Stage Record of Curriculum guidance areas

4b Observation records.

The aim of the record Is to provide information over a period of time to assist in the completion of the Foundation Stage Profile at the end of the child's reception year at school.

It seems that all counties in England have different approaches to the recording systems for the Foundation Stage Curriculum. You learn a new thing every day!

Cheers,

Angie

At our school the records of achievement for all children KS1 to KS2 has been slimmed down to contain only the barest minimum information. This was done in an attempt to cut down on unecc paper work that no one looked at. So Nursery also cut down all extra paper work and only the profiles went up to the Rec teacher. Now the LEA has also stepped (N. Yoks)to say that the only essential information needs to be passed on as the next teacher who has neither the time or inlcination to read through 25 sets of records of schievement.

All that we are expected to send up now to Reception is an assessmnet sheeet of all the stepping stones ELGs etc but not marked and dated individually but just colour coded- yellow, green, pink and grey like the FS curriclum. We colour in the termly grid using the best fit for the child. So hopefully, we can show progression not on individually stepping stones but on the colour bands.

it is expected that pre-schools use the same system and recption continues in the same way. The stepping stones required by the FS prfile are numbered and tallied when completed

This is all the is sent up from nursery. and is much less paper work.But my question is - what do we do with the observations, photographs and other pieces of evidence once the child leaves the nursrey setting? Any ideas- anybody?

Hi, we have a self made booklet which is a vertual copy of the FS folder. We take obs during the time the children are with us and then highlight the areas in the booklet as they are achieved. We do this three times a year and hand it to the reception teacher in July. It doesnt take long if you keep on top of it and leads into the FS profile.

We have our own LEA profiles which we use from Nursery to Recption and they include the profile statements, so feed into that. Our new Head also wants us to assess against PIVATS and will be setting value-added targets from Nursery. I don't feel that this is appropriate as we are monitoring progress through the Stepping Stones. I certainly don't want to have even more paperwork and don't feel that target setting for under-fives is the right thing to be doing anyway as they all develop so differetly. Any comments anyone?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)