Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Accident Books

Hi,

I would just like to add, make sure that both the time and the date are entered. At our recent Ofsted it was pointed out that not all the entries had both items.

Core

We just bought ours from Staples. As long as you only have one recorded incident per page for confidentiality that's Ok. incidently we have two one for accidents occuring at school and a seperate one for any incidents the parents report to us on arrival at Pre-School. This one isn't so detailed but allows us to note down if the child has bumped their head, fallen over or grazed themselves etc... before getting to us. Ofsted like this as it fulfils the Safeguarding children policies and also records any pattern of behavior if a child is being mistreated. From our side it covers us against any potential law suits if something serious ever occured as we could prove the incident happened outside pre-school. Sound harsh but it's just being careful

At the end of each half term I used to review my accident records, total number of slips, bites, head injuries, grazes, common areas for accidents, indoors / outdoors, boys / girls etc this informed our risk assessments.

Peggy

• 1 month later...

we use a small ringed book with

parents/carer signature

name of child

date and time

accident or incident

location of accident/incident

action taken

staff member involved

we then get the parents/carers to sign (we do not give a copy) and OFSTED seem fine with that

ohh and a lovely sticker to make it all better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 4 weeks later...
we use the PLA accident record book now which parents have to sign when an accident is recorded.

we used to used our own but ofsted didn't like it as pages could be removed or lost!

it has made me think that i should produce an extra slip for the parent/carer to take away though as its not always the same carer picking up the children and you have to rely on them passing on accident information

Hi may have a solution to this problem, we number our incident sheets and have a corresponding cross reference sheet to ensure we have all the sheets! works well and helps for auditing, OFSTED liked this! :o

Hi may have a solution to this problem, we number our incident sheets and have a corresponding cross reference sheet to ensure we have all the sheets! works well and helps for auditing, OFSTED liked this! :o

What a good idea, langler2102. Welcome to the Forum!

Maz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

We use bespoke individual accident/incident forms.

Each child has a form in the registration folder with 10 spaces for 10 accidents. We record everything we are meant to and parent signs each accident/incident. We found this the easiest way to maintain confidentiality, keep an eye on how many accidents a child is having etc etc and Ofsted lliked it.

I think as long as you record everything, maintain confidentiality and are able to store it securely Ofsted will be happy.

Every 6 months I go thorugh them all to update risk assessments

When the children leave we photocopy it and give it to the parents and our copy then gets filed alphabetically.

If I find a copy I will attach it.

Net x

Can I just add that we MUST give parents a copy of accident forms, once they have signed them..................:

It gives them a record of what happened if thew child subsequently has to go to hospital (even a day or two later, as concussion or other problems may surface after some time), so this makes clear for doctors what happened, and that the injury wasn't done by parents (this could be really important)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)