Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Letters And Sounds

Can I ask how you or how do you intend teaching letters and sounds, would you plan to teach in sequence or in group time also having letters around the environment, sound tables etc, would you show this on your planning and if so where?

Number work same as above really.

I am asking as we used to do it in group time however have been advised not to stop the children now for group time as we are interupting their play. Surely we need some structure our children are 2-5 altogether

thanks

:o We are incorporating in within our daily routine by either using a circle time activity of end of session wind down activity. We are a Preschool with 2 - 4.5yrs . we will do some activities as a whole group of split into smaller ones differenciating between ages and abilities. Who said that you arn't supposed to stop play? we do and as you said it gives some sort of structure to a session. With regards to the planning, we have just incorporated letters and sounds onto our daily evaluation sheet and will do an adult led activity plan for each activity used.

I have shown this to our development officer who ran our EYFS training and she said this was ok.

We have key group time. We are incorporating it in there. Children do 5 different activities each week with their key person:

Music

Circle time

PE

Out and about

Letters and sounds/listening skills

Really all of them are incorporating the letters and sounds ideas, but in different mediums. Just a way to keep them all interested. I too am preschool.

Hi I have recently been told that it would be better to have free flow for pre-school children throughout the morning and not to stop for a particular circle time. The idea being that the practitioner should be bringing activities more to the children where ever they may be ie. playing with & listenning to sounds be can learnt just as well whilst playing in the sand pit outside, rather than having a focused learning aim on a carpet.

What do you all think ? Dot :o

I was having this dilema too, did nt want to stop the children during free play but needed a carpet time in the morning to discuss, day, weather, rules, exciting activities available and pose questions ( we self register, so everyone comes straight in to play)

Our lea mentor teacher told us it was ok to do this (she watched what we did) and thougth it was great!

we split our children in to two groups to do letters and sounds. we all have to do outside play togeather (we use a local park) so whilst 1/2 are getting changed we do L and s with the other 1/2 and vice versa.

we are a pre school in one main room

defo in the same situation as u fizzy

i dont really want to interupt the children in their play to carry out group time, but how do u fit everything in or is the morning circle time enough to do this?? others i have spoken with both on here and friends who work in diff settings said they have keygroup times to do diff activites such as circle times, L&S etc

when do u do ur l&s activity then, do u have to stop free flow to do it?

struggling to know what to do for the best!!

I have been concerned about not doing enough about structuring our l & s activities. Only when I sat down to do our end of week evaluation and looking at the l & s information we had done at least 2 of the activities just in one day without even knowing it!!!

So I now agree these activities don't need to be completely stuctured, as lots of opportunities arise and probably everyone is the same as me and it is all happening without us even knowing it. I try to structure our day but more often than not something happens and it all goes a bit pear shaped! Especially last week with all the lovely sunshine we had, just wanted to be outside most of the morning!

Ours is an extension of our registration time. We cater for 2 - 5 year olds so what happens is that after we register the littleys the older ones stay on for a more focussed time, whether that be Letters and sounds, maths , PSE etc depending on the day. We had identified holes in our individual children's profiles and find this helps fill those easily. What is also great is that we do not exclude the little ones who dip in and out of the activities in our main room, as curiosity dictates - it works really well and is definitely child-centred. What is amazing is registration starts at 9 with most arriving by 9.15 at latest and we can still be utterly engrossed at 9.50 or even 10 am! Its important to say that if they are not interested or motivated we can but seldom are done by 9.30. The child-centred approach really works well.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)