Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Planning Daily

hi everyone,

I have been looking at the thread on learning walls whihch i am to start doing at the nursery next week. but feel after our good/good inspection with ofsted i am going to take the pludge before i leave the nursery (end of may) in introduce and help them to put in place daily planning which the children help staff to do by making the choices of what they would like to learn and have out that day. we already have planning which allow's a good balance of both adult and child choosen activities but i would like to take this further.

is anyone else already doing this and how do you put this down on paper/planning? for evidence sake any way i would say its called planning any more.lol

thanks dizzy

I've just begun to use "Thinking & Talking" books and a "Talk Around Time" Basically it's a type of mind mapping involving the children recording either in pictures words or with actual objects their ideas which eventually produces a "topic web" recorded by photographs and the children's words and pictures stuck onto a huge sheet of paper.

I've just begun to use "Thinking & Talking" books and a "Talk Around Time" Basically it's a type of mind mapping involving the children recording either in pictures words or with actual objects their ideas which eventually produces a "topic web" recorded by photographs and the children's words and pictures stuck onto a huge sheet of paper.

Do you use these instead of daily planning sheets then? I think i am worried that miss ofsted wil say that they can see plenty of evidence but nothing put in place by the adults? i know this is what i am trying to move away from but do you think that if all my evidence and planning is written up after the days activities we will not pass the inspection for this?

Hi Marion

thinking and talking floorbooks is what I am really into at the moment- is it the Mindstretchers one that youa re using? You can find more about them here for anyone else interested.

www.mindstretchers.co.uk

In fact I am helping to organise a training day led by the people from Mindstretchers in November. The focus will be on the Thinking and Talking books and how to involve the children in planning their own learning. There will be a few places available to those outside of our action zone. The cost hasn't been decided yet. For anyone interested please post me.

We are based in Birmingham

Yes I'm using the Mindstretchers book. I'm going to a conference next month where Claire Warden is one of the speakers so hoping to pick her brains. I'd be interested but unfortunately I'm way up north but depending on timing and cost may be able to make it.

what i wanted to try was to sit with the children in the morning and discuss what they have covered/learnt and what activities they want to do that day. sort of daily child lead planning

the children already choose what equpiment they would like out for the day and we choose some equpiment to put out to lean towards the theme. Iwould like to move completely away from focus activities planned by the adults and more activities forming the day the children have decided on doing a circle time.

do you think focus activities are still needed if you can still show they are covering what is on the long term plan for the term?

does any of this make sense?

Hi Marion

thinking and talking floorbooks is what I am really into at the moment- is it the Mindstretchers one that youa re using? You can find more about them here for anyone else interested.

www.mindstretchers.co.uk

In fact I am helping to organise a training day led by the people from Mindstretchers in November. The focus will be on the Thinking and Talking books and how to involve the children in planning their own learning. There will be a few places available to those outside of our action zone. The cost hasn't been decided yet. For anyone interested please post me.

We are based in Birmingham

I just looked on the Mindstretchers website - Wow!! It looks amazing - just fits with everything I'm passionate about! Marion and Apple, are either of you in a school? If so how does this approach fit with the rest of the school - are you just keeping it in Foundation Stage or is it spreading beyond the boundaries and into KS1 and 2? Anybody else using it in school?

Apple - I'd love to come on training day - will need to chat with my head! Thamks for such an inspiring thread!

Emma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)