Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Providing Role Play And Imaginative Play

Hi i manage a Montessori Nursery and we do not provide a designated area for role play, there is no home corners or dressing up either, there is also very little small world play. There are opportunities for the children to engage in role play through open ended resources and we try to provide materials for the children which support their need for role play and imaginative play, however this is limited.

My question is does anyone have any ideas of further resources we could provide to ensure we meet the childrens needs in this area without a home corner, role play area, dressing up, small world toys and that are based in reality rather than fantasy.

I fully support the Montessori philosophy and understand why we do not openly provide these resources, but i also worry that we fail to support the childrens need in this area.

many thanks jojom x

Hi - I have only touched on Montessori and I have never visited a montessori setting so I am totally un-educated as to why you have no role play - role play can just be sheets, crates etc and children create their own imagination which I am sure you already do. I feel sometimes kids really do so much more in this sort of play than an adult providing a pre-determined role play concept. Feel totally un-educated so I will take time to read up on it.

Dot :o

What about cardboard boxes they can become so many things and used in so many ways. Sheets too like Dot said again can become so many things when seen through a child's eyes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)