Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Photo Of Children With Their Name

in previous setting i have always been discouraged from putting childrens names with their photograph for example on their coat peg or on displays, and have generally agreed with this, mainly for child protection reasons- ie someone coming into the setting we dont know cant identify childrens names if their name is not with their photo anywhere.

however in my new setting on coat pegs there is photos with names and im wondering whether i should mention it or is it the settings individual choice?

thanks

Is is a setting that has shared use? If the public are using the setting then I would say it is a no, no. We leave some displays up in our village hall setting but always remove names so as not to identify any children.

Maybe you could bring this up at your next staff meeting for discussion. Has the setting got a 'photograph' policy?

Discuss the 'risks' of who would have access to named photo's, and ask questions such as;

1/ Are the named photo's in the public domain?

2/ What opportunities would these people who have access to named photos be able to use such information to the detriment of the childrens safety? (ie the risk of such people (ie strangers) using the info- access to the children, unsupervised, outside of the setting)

3/Do the children need to have their name next to their photo, what other was could the children learn name recognition?

4/ What do parents think, do they understand and/or agree with the risks?

You could use this opportunity to discuss the use of photo's for other purposes and review or produce a policy.

This has been discussed in depth before so try a search.

Let us know whether you take this forward and what is decided. (if you want :o )

Peggy

Like the others say, this is something which only you can decide depending on your own individual circumstances. Our playgroup is in a shared hall but we are in a small rural community where everybody knows everyone in any case. If I worked in a larger town I would be more cautious. :o

the setting is very secure, only those who are registered to pick children up are allowed into the nursery, however we do have alot of visitors, for example show rounds for prospective parents and investors, who could see these, and although there would always be a memebr of staff with the visitor they could still see the childrens names and photos.

in my last setting, within the same company, ofsted advised the prechool that they shouldnt have childrens names with photos on their self registartion board, but as you say its not really in the use for the genaral public so shouldnt matter too much!!

We have our children's photos and names on their coat peg. Ofsted had no problem with this. We have a photograph policy parents sign and it is updated each year throughout the school, so we know if it's against parents wishes. All photos we take of children are agreed with them first. Children choose which area/activity/toy they want to be photographed at/with. The children know their peg is their personal space and their belongings are safe there. Our team believe this helps with transition but you can use their name and a picture they have made instead.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)