Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Advice

I am not sure if Ofsted would look upon this very favourably. Have you gone through IEP and IEP action plus etc and worked with outside agencies as well as your SENCO? I have had similar experience where a child would attack adults, punching in the face, kicking etc, it was veryupsetting. We tried many different tactics and got his Mum to work with us, we eventually started the statementing process and did alot of work and visits during transition to school. Exclusion would have to happen only after you had exhausted all avenues.

couldn't believe i logged on to see this post as we to are having difficulties with a child with behaviour and was going to ask advice! although haven't got to the stage of asking them to leave yet!

i have been through i.e.p's we have but none seem suitable if any of you have some to share i would really appriciate it. its a name calling and hitting problem we have.

i really Sympathise with you belle06 a horrible situation i imagine like me you've spent time trying to help this child reform their behaviour, the thing is you have to protect the others too.

i am finding it really hard apologising to parents of injured children yet at the same time trying to stop the other child developing a 'label' (which i haven't suceeded on). this is horrible as this sticks and even when you feel you're getting somewhere with their behaviour it is spoilt by other children saying things like 'my mum says you're naughty i'm not playing with you' etc i just want to scream!! :o

you also don't want to get a reputation youself for not being able to manage behaviour xD

Shazzam you have summed it up totally this child has SEN issues and needs and I really want to support and help hime but can not do this to the detrement of the other children which is happening at the moment. These are serious injuries been inflicted on a daily basis, like you say you do not want to be seen to be not managing behaviour but alos do not want a reputation for the setting where children come home with nasty injuries caused by another child. NO WIN SITUATION which is very distressing for all

Guest lesboyle

Hi Shazam and Belle

My sympathy is really with you both! I have been both a class teacher and Senco in similar circumstances and it is completely emotionally draining. It sounds as if the children in question have serious emotional difficulties and the decision to exclude shouldnt really lie with you. Have you been in touch with your inclusion officer in the Local Authority (it sounds as if you have)? If you want to find out Ofsted's view, there is a helpline on their website and you could talk it through with them. If you really do think exclusion is your only option then I would advise that you make sure you have really covered your back on the paperwork side - eg evidence of strategies used and how you have put all the suggestions of other professionals in place (dated etc), show how you have considered the context of each incident, triggers etc and your partnership with parents. Otherwise I think it is also important to bear in mind that inclusion is about meeting every child needs and if these children are impacting on the care and education of other children and it looks like you have tried everything then it sounds as if exclusion is something you may have to consider. Not an enviable position!

Lesley

thanks for that i'm determined to help this child!

i have had the area i.n.c.o visit and i asked advice which she gave off the record, just happened that this day the child in question was a model student and the advice was just to carry on and be consistant. i now need extra help and have asked the mum for permission to get the area i.n.c.o out to access but the mum was a little unsure and was going to speak to her husband- shes not denying there's a problem and wants to get it sorted before her child starts school.

i'm wondering if this may be my first C.A.F? its seems that it will need to involve all the family as it seems a sibling is also having problems, the child will be starting school in september i dont want to leave things too longnit would be good to pass an action plan on to school started not dump the problem onto them

Guest lesboyle

Good idea! Especially if it turns out that he will need additional support or even a statement when he starts school.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)