Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Non Stereotypes

my children are very much into their stereotypes

girls can only like pink and boys blue

boys cant be nurses etc etc

while we do challenge this i would like to display some photos or images in the room to provide points for discussion

have tried google images but not much good

any ideas where good get some good images for this?

girls can only like pink and boys blue

I know where you are coming from northernbird, our free cartons of milk come in blue 'MC Udder' and pink 'daist dangler'. We have one boy who will only drink the blue milk and would rather go thirst/drink water as he is dead against 'pink girls milk'!!!!

Why not take your camera out and see if you can take photo's of people at work.

Re: Snack time - When we have snack we have a mixture of coloured plates, but we always make the children take the one on the top. Some of the boys aren't happy that they have to have the pink one, but they get over it! Some how the girls don't seem to bother about the blue ones.

Hi northernbird,

I have used google images very successfully for this sort of thing but you may have to try a few different key words to get the desired results. Make sure you have it set on 'large images' and keep the search criteria simple - for instance 'female firefighter'. :o

my children are very much into their stereotypes

At our setting it's not the children so much as some parents. We have a 4 year old boy who loves football etc. but also loves dressing up in our princess dresses. Mum was on duty recently and was horrified to see him putting it on and even more horrified when she found out he wears it most days! Her most positive comment was 'at least his dad hasn't seen it'. Sometimes I wonder who needs educating.

Sally

Did you see Child of our Time recently - they did a program on gender differences which was fascinating. One of the tests they carried out was to give the children the choice of 2 lemonades - one packaged in blue called Rocket Pop and the other packaged in pink called Princess Pop. All of the children chose the lemonade aimed at their gender and all but one child said that that one tasted much better than the other despite the fact they were identical. :o

I'm not really sure we should be stopping them from choosing the colour of plates, cups, milk cartons etc. Self identity is important, as is experimenting with dressing up in different things. Girls clothes tend to be softer, more flowing, textured, brighter, shiny. Girls natrually get to wear a whole range of clothes. It always seems to be the parents of boys who have a hang up isnt it?

Could you have visitors into the setting? Female firefighters, male nurse etc. What jobs do their parents do? Have you got any female mechanics amongst them, or male childminders?

Try B&Q recruitment leaflets, they always used to have a great non-discriminatory, equality ethos. Prospectus from colleges also tend to show gilrs in the plastering classes or as mechanics.

I agree that on the whole the parents of boys are the ones with the hang ups, but I currently have a girl who is really a little tomboy. Not surprising really as she has a brother and close male cousins. Mum stresses about it massively. For example when we had our annual photo she had clearly tried to make the little girl wear a dress, but she had chosen a football top because it was her favourite. Mum's face was a picture but the little girl is quite strong minded so I don't think she really cares. I get most upset though about parents who comment on other people's children and their choices. I find it most difficult to argue against them as I can't bring them round to seeing the child has learnt/enjoyed anything as well as I can when it is the parent themself.

It should be about being encouraged and accepted as an individual. I have 4 boys - one is very artisitc, one loves playing sport, one is very practically minded - loves taking things apart and rebuilding them and the other is usually in bed (19 and just finished college). My kids have all been brought up in the same environment but they are so totally different from each other. I was a real tomboy when I was young and I suppose I still am. I can plaster a wall, rewire electrics and do basic servicing on my car. These things I enjoy and find interesting. Ask me to bake/ice a cake or have nail extensions, forget it. I know what I'm good at and my kids will tell you cooking is not one of them!!! Never tried the nails but I have been told that it can be quite painful.

Sally

Im sure Marion or someone posted some images on here when we were having a similar discussion, there were images of men ironing etc to encourage interaction in the homecorner etc. Cant remember where they are, can anyone else??

paula

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)