Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Big Writing And New Lit Framework

I just read Marion's post about descriptive writing and it reminded me that I've been meaning to ask people who do Big Writing in schools how their school fits it with the new literacy framework. (I hope its ok to post this as its not so specifically concerned with foundation stage but I don't know anywhere else where I can find such a lot of experts in one place! :o ) We find it difficult to do the framework as well as have one morning a week for B.W. and the next day's lit session for a review of the writing from the day before. Does anyone have any solutions / compromises / planning...?

Thank you! xD

...Anyone? Have just had meeting with external advisor who's recommending we ditch Big Writing and go completely with the framework. Really want to keep on with BW so any literacy experts - please let me know if and how you've managed to marry the two! thanks!

We don't actually follow the framework as such because Big Writing has had such positive results and we feel we can justify working the way we do But we do cover all the genre required in the framework. We also use Big Writing across the curriculum rather than just in literacy so we may have a history focus writing a Victorian diary or a science focus writing instructions for an experiment or a geography focus writing a persuasive letter to a MP about a proposed motorway extension hope you understand what I mean. You could follow the framework for literacy and use Big Writing in other curriculum areas.

Thanks so much for replying Marion. That's how we're doing it with the cross curricular writing opportunities and it has really had a big impact on the profile of writing in the school and the progress children have been making. Some teachers are less comfortable with it than others. One in particular is having a hard time as she's not so confident with her literacy and so using a 100 literacy hours style book that follows the framework and then feeling she doesn't have time to fit it all in with the big write morning and the review session. Do you do these both in pure Ros Wilson form? Or have you adapted them? And do you do your big write from the genre you're currently working on in the rest of your literacy or from one done previously? Sorry for all the questions!

I'm in reception so basing my answers mainly off staff meeting discussions so can't give detailed explanations of other classes. Our DH has adapted Big Writing for KS2 so it isn't pure Ros Wilson I know she also uses Sue Palmers skeletons for writing and some Pie Corbertt materials. The Big Write comes at the end of the work on a particular genre giving the children time to practice. Have you looked at the Andrell forum? Ros is usually around and is really helpful.

Guest Keen

We don't use the framework at all not even in our KS1 and KS2 classes as we already have something in place that works and never found the framework or literacy hour worked. We have always worked with themes, topics so the children always have a good reason and also want to write. I have heard of Ros Wilson and seen some of the work of colleagues but again what we have now works for us so if it in broke etc etc

Big Writing is the name given to a model for writing devised by Ros Wilson. The Big in the title doesn't refer to size but to the importance of "bigging it up" and making it exciting. We start with BIg Talk in nursery and progress into Big Writing in reception through to Y6

http://www.andrelleducation.co.uk/literacy.php

http://www.andrelleducation.co.uk/forum/index.php

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)