Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Observations Of New Children In Setting

Hi

I have recently been made a keyworker to a group of 5 children. As I am new to this role I'm very keen and enthusiastic. I was wondering what others do regarding observations etc when new children start in the setting. At the moment, my setting don't do any obs. for the first term as they regard it as a time for settling in rather than observing. I thought it would be a good idea to do some general observations right from the start, just to get an idea of the child's likes/dislikes, the basic stuff really. We had a training session last week on reflective practice and it got me thinking (quite a miracle, must have been a good day) What do you think?

Sally

we keep obs from day one and throughout the child's first month this would help you to be able to provide for the child and see how you can help to develop a sense of belonging in the child

Guest Wolfie

I agree with the others - observations need to start from the moment a child starts, to ensure that you are identifying and meeting their needs from day 1!

It is important to show what the children are like when they first start attending your setting as you add so much to their personal and social development in those first few weeks. (Classed as value added in schools)

i am attaching a sheet that we used during children's first week which you may find useful alongside those spontaneous observations that you do each day.

:o

First_week_of_Nursery.doc

Thanks for sharing surfer that's a great help. I'm going to start using it on my new children on Monday. I feel as others have said, it's important to start observing from day one and although we all do it informally all the time, I think it is good practice to have a starting point in order to plan for each child's needs fully.

Thanks for the advice everyone. It's good to know that I'm on the right track.

Sally

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)