Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Digraphs

Which digraphs do you teach your reception children. we follow the jolly phonics timetable but have been asked by year 1 teachers to only teach sh, th, ch next year

Edited by Guest

we teach the whole kit and caboodle!

ch need these to be able to read and write a wide range of words - do you follow the letters sounds when the get into year one?

we didn't get training on it until half way through the year so introduced sounds using Jolly Phonics to introduce but have since used letters and sounds to revisit and move on from.

Why do they only want you to do ch, sh & th???

Sarah

we and the year 1 teachers have just had letters and sounds training so will be using it as from sept. They want us to only teach sh, ch and th as they would rather they were really really secure with these 3 and they can carry on from there rather than them have a little knowledge of other digraphs but not being secure and confident with them.

I teach my reception children all the digraphs and trigraphs as specified in letters and sounds. They have picked them up so well. Do you not think your year 1 teachers might be asking you to hold back some of your brighter children? The training I went on back in January said that reception should be working on phases 2-4. If you are only teaching ch, sh, th then your children will only have done phase 2. In year 1 pupils should be looking at phase 5- alternative digraphs etc. I know you always have some children working below and above expectations.

Sorry to sound like I'm going on. I just know that for my class of 31 reception children, letters and sounds has made such a difference to all them. Their CLL scores have really improved- again I know that it's not about scores, but they are all such confident readers and writers. They love doing the phonics sessions too- if we miss out a session they want to know why were not doing our letters!

Hope that all makes sense!

What do you think about all this?

If you don't teach all the digraphs then your year 1 teachers are going to make a lot of work for themselves when the children do reach them, children need those digraphs to aid their reading and writing, otherwise all they are only going to be able to read are CVC words. The Rose review supports this need for children to be taught all these digraphs.

If you've had the letters and sounds training then as Bethie says you will be holding not only your more gifted children, but your average children back as well.

We've been using letters and sounds all year and, like bethie, I've found it's made a huge difference to the children's reading and writing.

Obviously children need to be secure with phase 2 before you expect them to use phase 3, with early phase 3 before you expect that to use later phase 3 etc... but if you follow letters and sounds for the whole class and then have close assessments of which phase different children are working confidently within, you can support each child with their own next steps in phonics - in phonics support groups as well as in your guided writing and guided reading.

Then you can make sure that as many children as possible are secure with th, ch and sh, but also that as many children as possible are also confident with later digraphs and trigraphs. Some also are obviously still not going to be getting to grips with th, sh and ch and will need to be working on consolidating the alphabet letter sounds.

sh/ch/th/th/ng/ck/ai/ee/igh/oa/ue/oo/oo/or/ar/er/ou/oi and we have touched on ear and air

do you feel your children are secure with all the digraphs you have taught?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)