Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Suncream

Guest Biker

Guest Biker

We are being told by the school that we are attached to that with the introduction of the EYFS we will not be allowed to apply suncream to our children.

We run wrap around care including pre-school for children from 3 as well as breakfast,lunch,after school club and holiday club for children between 3-11.

Our current policy is in hot weather all children need to wear a hat and have suncream on before going outside. Parents sign a permission form and older children are supervised applying suncream whilst the little ones in the main have it applied by staff although we encourage them to dvelop independence rubbing it in under our supervision.If a child refuses that is fine but they must remain inside.

Any thoughts?

We feel we have a duty of care to ensure these children are protected from the sun.

Biker

Guest Wolfie

Why does the school think that the introduction of EYFS means you can't apply suncream exactly?? That's absolutely ridiculous!

I would draw their attention to the Principles in to Practice cards 1.4 - Health and Well-being and 3.3 - The Learning Environment (remember that a lot more emphasis is being placed on access to the outdoor environment) and the statement on page 33 of the statutory Framework that "The provider must take all reasonable steps to ensure that hazards to children - both indoors and outdoors - are kept to a minimum."

Is the school saying that parents must apply it themselves? I'm just wondering whether that is the SCHOOL policy and they've had parents complain about it saying that you DO apply it - so they're trying to make you do the same as them? But to link it to the EYFS is ridiculous! I would stick to your guns, you're attitude about duty of care is right. At the school where I leased rooms for my nursery, the staff were outraged once when a parent sent a bottle of suncream with their child who was going on a day trip and asked if they could reapply at lunchtime - "That's not my job" was the reply given to the parent. :o

Having checked the latest EYFS medication has just been made clearer and easier , and says we must promote the good health of children. support6 individual medical needs of children... think that could include administering sun cream. could not find any specific mention anywhere on suncream

I would ask where it can be found in EYFS ....perhaps as said it is a school policy which as you have your own which is different parents are now questioning.

Inge

Guest Wolfie

Sorry...looking at my reply again I had a bit of a rant! I waas just fuming when that happened at my school, it still makes me cross now!

I would draw their attention to the Principles in to Practice cards 1.4 - Health and Well-being and 3.3 - The Learning Environment (remember that a lot more emphasis is being placed on access to the outdoor environment) and the statement on page 33 of the statutory Framework that "The provider must take all reasonable steps to ensure that hazards to children - both indoors and outdoors - are kept to a minimum."

As long as you have permission forms there is no legal problem at all and as long as you only use the cream provided.And you have signed permission

There is a bit of confusion as they are saying only medicines including suncream can only be provided if its prescribed by a gp.But it does say if you feel the need and you can justify it you are well with in your rights to apply and give medicines such as calpol and apply suncream just make sure your forms and policy is up to date.!

Edited by Guest

Guest jane707

I would say either they are reading the wrong version of EYFS ... which is now updated to read much the same as the Standards now...

http://www.teachernet.gov.uk/teachingandlearning/EYFS/

Or they have introduced this policy and need telling that it's wrong! Children have to go outside every day and we have a duty to protect them - their skin as well as their safety from accidents etc.

I think you need to have a word :o

The notes on page 26 under specific legal requirements say :

Providers must keep written records of all medicines administered to children and inform parents.

The new revision notes add : Providers may also give non prescribed medicines and should keep a record of all medicines given.

The next point which says : Providers must obtain prior written permission for each and every medicine from parents before any medication is given, has been amended in response to concerns raised by providers. It maintains the flexibility to give non prescription medication that currently exists in the National Standards for Day care and childminding.

Does anyone know where the rule came from that we must have parental permission to apply cream?

Guest jane707
Does anyone know where the rule came from that we must have parental permission to apply cream?

An Ofsted inspector once told me I must have written parental permission to put anything in or on a child! :o

Guest Biker

Thanks for all your reasurring replies.We had searched but could not see where suncream was mentioned in the Eyfs.I think the issue arose because school have a different policy to us and do not as a rule apply suncream.We were quite cross about this too and do not intend to change our policy for something we feel compromises our care.

It seems at the moment that whenever our policies differ school expect us to change.

I have a feeling it is going to be a challenging few months!

Thanks again .

Biker

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)