Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

How To Paint A Red Flower

Hi, just wondered if anybody had the poem/passage about the boy who couldn't paint until he'd been told how?

Do you mean the one where he starts off keen to have a go at painting/drawing something but he teacher tells him to wait? And this goes on for several different creative activities until he gradually loses the will to be creative any more? And then when he finds a teacher who encourages children to think for themselves and be creative he is unable to?

Maz

Also like this one...

Why hands on?

I tried to teach my child with books;

He gave me only puzzled looks.

I tried to teach my child with words;

They passed him by often unheard.

Despairingly, I turned aside;

"how shall I teach this child," I cried?

Into my hand he put the key,

"come," he said, "play with me."

Author unknown

Also like this one...

Why hands on?

I tried to teach my child with books;

He gave me only puzzled looks.

I tried to teach my child with words;

They passed him by often unheard.

Despairingly, I turned aside;

"how shall I teach this child," I cried?

Into my hand he put the key,

"come," he said, "play with me."

Author unknown

I just love this poem: doesn't it just sum everything up?

Maz

I used the red flower, green stem as an activity on my micro teach, it actually made one member of the team really angry when I moved her leaves so they were in the 'right' place. xD

I use this technique to good effect when teaching Level 2 students about creativity. I do choose my 'victim' with care though - they don't all appreciate me moving things because they are in the wrong place.... :o

i'm going to use that poem for a family who are trying there best to turn their daughter off reading and writing before she has even got into the school gates!! i recently gave them the poem of red and orange horses another that makes you stop and think!

That's a new one on me Inge, love it. I hope the author is an early years practitioner. :o

Peggy

really no idea.. came across in some training.. just says it all for me... having trained so many moons ago that we have gone full circle and now doing everything i originally trained for ...... and they say its all new.. .....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)