Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Photos

Encouraged to take more and more photos in the settings-what do you find the most economical way to print-diy ,in shops or posting off?

I have no idea how economic my photo printing is - but I know I do a lot! I have a colour laser printer which is very quick and easy - toner cartridges are expensive but they last a long time. Also laser printers don't have the problems ink jets do. And of course its easy to do because you don't have to send them away, and can embed the photos in documents so that you don't have to cut and stick lots of individual pieces for displays etc.

However it does all take time.

I'm not helping really, am I?

I'm also consdering a digital photograph frame (but I'm not sure if you can put text into the pictures or not - anyone know?). That way you wouldn't need to print so many!

Maz

Hi Littleanna

We also use a laser printer for printing of our photographs and with a 98 place day nursery with 4 rooms thats a lot of pictures.

The quality is really good too - we just print onto ordianry paper but for special pictures we do use photo paper - we get this cheap from our local resource centre.

As for the photframe Maz i have one at home and you can add text to it but it was an expensive frame about £70 - good idea though!

Claire

we print our own off, and depending on what they are for, we use ordinary print paper, or nice shiny photo paper.Ink is very expensive and, like everything else, seems to have risen in price quite steeply recently.However, I bought a PC in PC world last week, and they asked if it was for the business.......which it was..................and they told me I could open a business account, free of charge, and which would give me access to very cheap (up to 50% cheaper) inks and software.Can't have discount on hardware, apparantly,but if this is true, it should amount to quite a saving!

bought a PC in PC world last week, and they asked if it was for the business

be VERY VERY careful with this and what details you give them.They have deducted a service payment from my account without permission when I became a business account user and the cartridges are cheaper at tesco's than PC world with the discount!!

I used a colour laserjet printer, only annoying thing is that the machine won't work if only one of the cartridges run out,(ie if a colour cartridge ran out I couldn't just use monotone-black), so always need a quick supplier, or spare cartridges. There is also the cost of a drum on top of cartridges, however I found the lazer more efficient and economical than inkjet. There is a company that supplies FREE printers if you buy 2 sets of cartridges, the printer is top quality, the 2 sets of cartridges however amount to nearly £300 with VAT. If you want more details on this PM me. My set of cartridges would last about 6 mths but I printed lots and lots of full A4 size pics over that time, plus all admin, coloured brochures, staff handbooks etc.

I also used to put photo's onto CD for parents, plus have a slide show of pics on my laptop in the setting. Actually we made a TV out of a box and some clear laminate, sat the laptop inside (no little fingers pressing keys :( ) and the children would sit and watch TV pics of themselves at play. :o (provoked lots of lovely conversations xD ).

(Can't find a pic of the TV with the laptop inside but here's one when we used the box TV with puppets)

Peggy

post-3604-1214508770_thumb.jpg

Love the tv idea Peggy.

We usually just use our printer to print photos onto shiny paper.

At the moment we have 365 photos to print off and our chairman found a print shop which will print off copies for 5p each. Much cheaper than printer ink and paper to do them ourselves.

sorry to be a bit slow here... but we have a digital camera but we don't have a PC at our setting, we have bought a photo printer but that is really expensive... can you buy camera's that connect straight into a laser printer etc.. or do you always need a PC... I usually come home and downlod onto my PC at home and send them off for developing if we have loads but its still quite expensive

Can I ask what you would do about a child whose parents have refused to let him be photographed for any purpose at school- sorry I'm in reception and I know this is a nursery/pre-school discussion but it was something I was thinking and then came across this half related topic!

Basically as far as I see it, I can't take any photos of him- not even one for next to his peg like all the other children! I'm contemplating speaking to his parents to see why they won't give permission. I can understand some reasons why they might not want him to be photographed. But it is slightly limiting and sad when there are so many photos of the other children around!

Any views?

Hi bethie

We had this problem with a pre-school child (i work in a day nursery) The parents said that due to their religious beliefs their child was not allowed to be photographed.

We went with parents wishes but found it increasingly difficult - if an activity was being undertaken we had to ask the child to step aside or cut the child out from the picture. It was distressing for the child too as they were the only ones with no photograph for their basket or name board. We did replace their picture with a picture of an object but it wasnt the same for the child.

We decided to speak to the parents and after expalining again that the pictures of their child would never leave the nursery (not even to be developed as we use our office computer) and how distressed their child did become when they could not have their picture taken they gave us permission for use within the setting only - which was fine by us.

If the parents still didnt give their permission i guess you would have to except their wishes

Hope you can sort it out for the child's sake

Claire

be VERY VERY careful with this and what details you give them.They have deducted a service payment from my account without permission when I became a business account user and the cartridges are cheaper at tesco's than PC world with the discount!!

Thanks for this tip biccy - its easy to be bamboozled by things which seem too good to be true!

Maz

I print mine off on black and white, obviously not as nice as colour but they still come out ok. I also, at the end of the year, put each child's folder of pics onto a CD which the parents can buy. We then put that money towards toys/resources for the followng year.

Hannah x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)