Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Are We Able To Use The Eyfs Yet?

Hi there,

I am really struggling with this one.

We moved into the new setting three weeks ago. I have some new staff and need to train them up (as well as existing staff in the new setting).

I have been told by an EYAT from a neighbouring area that she has had confirmation from Ofsted that we can use the EYFS for planning, and practice from this point forward.

She made it very clear we may not use the statutory areas and guidances until September.

Our own EYAT came in today and she told us that no, we may not do this and I will have to train my staff to use the old curriculum for four weeks practice and then retrain the staff!

Has anyone else had any confirmation from Ofsted? I'm really worried about going ahead :o

Unfortunately as we are a new setting, we are due one!

The madness is that Ofsted inspected us at the end of April, even though they knew we would be closing in June!

Talk about wasting time, resources and money.

I am sooooo tempted to go for it, but I'd like some concrete to be standing on before I get told I'm on dodgy ground!

:-(

This question is in the consultation document that you can access on the Ofsted website. It may help you.

One of our settings was told by an Ofsted inspector to take the poster about the EYFS down until September 2008. Some local authority trainers are also saying to providers that they will be penalised by Ofsted if they have started using the EYFS before September. What is the true position?

Until 1 September 2008 we will continue to register and inspect against the national standards for under 8s day-care and childminding and seek evidence that providers meet these national standards up to that date. We will make inspection judgements based on the national standards and the Curriculum guidance for the foundation stage where appropriate.

Ofsted will not penalise any providers who wish to start using the EYFS and its associated documents before its formal introduction in September 2008. Indeed, it would be good practice for providers to familiarise themselves with the EYFS documents and think about how to meet EYFS requirements, particularly where there are differences between the national standards and the EYFS (for example in relation to adult:child ratios). Providers can also review current practice and compare it with the requirements of the EYFS, identifying areas of strength and areas where practice can be improved. This will help with preparation for inspection against the EYFS.

But providers must remember to continue to meet the national standards and, where appropriate, the Curriculum guidance for the Foundation Stage until this date.

http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/assets/Internet_C...fs_qa_pnsla.doc

Unfortunately as we are a new setting, we are due one!

The madness is that Ofsted inspected us at the end of April, even though they knew we would be closing in June!

Talk about wasting time, resources and money.

I am sooooo tempted to go for it, but I'd like some concrete to be standing on before I get told I'm on dodgy ground!

:-(

When you say you are a new setting have you just moved premises? We did in August 2003 and didn't have an inspection until January 2005. You may not get an inspection before September anyway.

When you say you are a new setting have you just moved premises? We did in August 2003 and didn't have an inspection until January 2005. You may not get an inspection before September anyway.

Yes, I waited three years for the inspection which should have been within 12 months because I was a new manager as well!

And as for inspecting a closing setting...hmmmm!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)