Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Letters And Sounds

Guest peekleeds

Guest peekleeds

Hi just wanted to know if any childminders have received the letters and sounds document.

I asked my development officer (Leicestershire) about them and she told me it was unlikely that childminders in our area would be given them. I have managed to download parts of it from official site but I think it is really unfair that we as childminders are expected to deliver eyfs to the same standard as full day care settings but are treated as second class citizens.

rant over !

I'm not a childminder and sympathise with your frustrations but I know that you can order a copy from teachernet.

Guest peekleeds

thanks for the info, I've just tried to order it by the website are having "technical difficulties" so I'll have to try later.

Hi peekleeds,

I am sure you will find that you probably do some of the activities that are in phase 1 any way. I am so glad my boys are a bit older now but I choose a childminder when they were younger so it would be a continuity of home and so that they were safe and happy and were played with not that they were doing letters and sounds. As a teacher I never went out of my way to do formal education things with them before they went to school.

Guest peekleeds

thanks for your comments Ger. As a childminder I do base all activities around play but childminders have to provide the eyfs framework which includes aspects of phase one of the letters and sounds document. Most of the children I childmind are of school age and from September the youngest will also be starting in reception, she is beginning to be interested in letters- she likes to walk round with a clipboard copying signs and labels, therefore I am keen to read this document to get some more ideas of how to introduce concepts she will no doubt soon be learning in school.

I also work as deputy leader of a pre-school and we are yet to receive the document although we have been assured it is cooming soon with training to follow in the autumn term.

Hi, I'm a RCM in Dudley and received my pack about 2 weeks ago - with a letter saying training will be available from September!

Nona

We ordered and received Letters and Sounds over a year ago after I read about it on this site, but so far no training is available. We have used some of the activities in Phase 1 and lots we were already doing in singing/circle time.

Anita

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)