Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Letters And Sounds Planning

Hi all

has anyone used the planning formats on the devon website (i think) to plany their phonic sessions using letters and sounds.I would be very grateful if anyone has a completed one they could share? How did you find it as a format to plan on. Any other examples of letters and sounds plans would also be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Lola

Hi i have used the letters and sounbds planning from the devon website but i typed in letters and sounds planning and found a really good site that had powerpoints and some of the games from letters and sounds that can be done on an interactive whiteboard. I used the attached plan for a performance management lesson observation . I will also attach some examples of reception and year 1 weekly letters and sounds planning i hope someone finds it useful.

Letters_and_Sounds_Lesson_Plan_10.7.08.doc

BuriedTreasure_Ph5_ie_ea.ppt

Week_1_Phase_4_Reception_2.6.08.doc

Am I the only person who finds it tricky to do the 4 part lesson in reception? :o I know its supposed to be pacey, but it seems like such a lot to fit in as 4 separate parts to a lesson - how long do your phonics sessions last? I try for 15 minutes and find that just introducing a new phoneme - going through the jolly phonics story, teaching the action,identifying it in spoken words and practising writing the letter takes quite a time if you're wanting the children to really absorb it. I can do this with a quick revisit of phonemes or tricky words already learnt, but then to do the practise and apply takes me forever. I've been reassuring myself that maybe the practise and apply bits come within what I do when teaching a new letter, but I'm not really convinced that that's the case. xD

Does anyone else have this problem? :(

Am I the only person who finds it tricky to do the 4 part lesson in reception? :o I know its supposed to be pacey, but it seems like such a lot to fit in as 4 separate parts to a lesson - how long do your phonics sessions last? I try for 15 minutes and find that just introducing a new phoneme - going through the jolly phonics story, teaching the action,identifying it in spoken words and practising writing the letter takes quite a time if you're wanting the children to really absorb it. I can do this with a quick revisit of phonemes or tricky words already learnt, but then to do the practise and apply takes me forever. I've been reassuring myself that maybe the practise and apply bits come within what I do when teaching a new letter, but I'm not really convinced that that's the case. xD

We have a 15 minute slot for phonics but we use free choice time for applying and CLL sessions i manage to do four part lessons in year 1

Yes! Definately! But I think I'm getting better. Mine normally stretches to 20 mins. When I went to see a leading teacher their appply/practise bit was really quick. She introduced the phoneme (ss), look at 5 words in the practise bit (kiss, hiss, boss, tess, mess) and read 1 sentence (Tess got in a mess) for the apply bit. So in the end that made me feel so much better! I suppose it's all about little and often!

Yes! Definately! But I think I'm getting better. Mine normally stretches to 20 mins. When I went to see a leading teacher their appply/practise bit was really quick. She introduced the phoneme (ss), look at 5 words in the practise bit (kiss, hiss, boss, tess, mess) and read 1 sentence (Tess got in a mess) for the apply bit. So in the end that made me feel so much better! I suppose it's all about little and often!

Thanks so much bethie and jo - that makes me feel much better! That's pretty much how I do it - I just felt tat maybe each section waas supposed to be more in depth. Phew ! One less thing to worry about!

I think maybe its trickier at the very beginning of the year when you're introducing so many sounds so quickly and the children are only just beginning to get the idea of sitting and maintaining attention!!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm currently in F2 and use the review teach practise and apply model for planning my sessions. Is this recommended for F1's to use to?

Many thanks

Boogie x

Hello,

I'm currently in F2 and use the review teach practise and apply model for planning my sessions. Is this recommended for F1's to use to?

Many thanks

Boogie x

I think the model review,teach,practise, apply is meant to apply for all of the phases although i think in phase 1 it may not be so easy to divide into separate parts because they are developing their listening skills don't know if this helps. Did you know they have produced a separate letters and sounds document for phase 1 its blue. I got it through our LA.

Devon education services breakdown the weeks in each phase and the relevant objectives but i have never actually seen the plans but that could be because my computer doesnt have word i open the plan and it just has objectives . You can find the devon website by googling letters and sounds and look for DES.eductation

My understanding of phase 1 is that the skills should be developed through the curriculum. In my setting they have a dedicated letters and sounds time and the nursery teacher plans opportunities adult and child initiated for practise over the week.

Have been acting as lead CLLD taecher for the past couple of years and have collected and developed some independent, practical and fun phonics tasks for use in the areas of provision (partic useful for F2, Y1). Let me know if you are interested?

As you can see I am new to adding messages etc but I will try. I have collected ideas into a book which i am trying to get published, I have sorted them according to phases and them categorised them as blending or segmenting and ICT, games, creative, outside etc.

Here's a few ideas and will try and post some pages below as well:

- mini words/sounds, print out tiny letters/words laminate and stick around the room, let the children be Phonic Detectives by giving them magnifying glasses to read and/or record the words/sounds. Children and adults love it!

- write words/letters in permanent marker on 2p coins and scatter them on grass in outside area, let children use metal detector to find coins and read words

- large teddy/doll other object with lots of parts, make blank laminated labels get children to label object using drywipe pens, let them attach labels using double-sided tape

- Fill water tray with porridge etc put in laminated words, give ch tongs to remove, read and sort words

- Chalk large grid on playground, put words in pockets on dice, children have to roll and read the word before they can jump on it

- Bury treasure (objects beginning with different sounds) in sand ch find, sort, record or bury words and ch ahve to match them to correct object

Think my memory stick is at school but will post some of draft later. Happy to share ideas, Letters and Sounds thoughts and FSU queries.

Hope ideas are useful.

Thank you for the activity ideas I will be using them when I go back to school. I await the other good activity ideas on your pen drive !

I would be very interested in the activities the ones you have already posted look like lots of fun for the children

thank you

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)