Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Reception Reports

Hi everyone,

I think I have made a drastic mistake!!

Having read the new FS document, I was under the impression that as from next year (2008/09) the profile scores must be reported to parents. However, my TA who has a grandson in YR at another local school, came in yesterday and said that he had been given some "numbers" on his report - did I know what these were? I explained that they were probably the profile scores, and immediately began to panic. Should I have reported these to parents this year?

Can someone shed some light on this for me please, because I was going to re-vamp the report format from next year to include the scores and some explanation. I am wrong?

Hi

It was with interest i read your post as my Year R teacher has just finished her reporst and the head read them and told her they do not show progression. he said they were very good but he was going to add the profile scores and she told him that when the parents come in and ask what the scores were all about he can explain(unfortunately he would have no idea). We told him he needs to send a letter or information about the scores beforehand, not that he listened. Anyway, i have not read or heard anything about sending homw scores this year but parents are entitled to see their child's profiles.

"Within the final term of the EYFS providers must provide the parent of a child in relation to whom the EYFS Profile has been completed with:

* a written summary reporting the child's progress against the early learning goals and the assessment scales;

* where the parent requests it, a copy of the EYFS Profile;

* details of the arrangements under which the EYFS Profile and its results may be discussed between a practitioner and the parent, giving a reasonable opportunity for the parent to discuss the EYFS Profile and its results with that practitioner."

You only need to provide the EYFS profile if it is requested otherwise a summary of the child's progress/achievement is all that is needed.

I don't send home scores although they are available for the parents to see if they ask. My reports describe the children's progress against the ELGs and offer an optional meeting. I wouldn't worry...

Hi everyone,

Thanks very much for your very interesting comments - I can breath a sigh of relief now!!! If my HT does ask me I can confirm that we are doing all that is required of us, i.e. reports showing progress within each of the areas of learning, profiles available (these are usually returned to the children sometime in the Spring Term next year). I keep them for a while just as evidence. They are also available for the parents to see whenever they come into the classroom, and also at parents' evenings.

Thanks again :o

Hi

Would just like to add that i think you are prob doing enough already! We send home the children's learning diaries - which include the tick sheets showing the points the children have achieved. We have had really good feedback from parents as they like looking at the obs, photos etc from the whole year and i think it gives a good picture of what each child has achieved. I jsut add a cover sheet with a summary what the child's main achievements have been.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)