Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Early Learning Goals

Hello!

I've been doing my Long Term Planning for my nursery class in September, and I just wanted to run it by some of you more experienced folks to see if you thought it was the right idea.

Ive done a plan for each area of provision, Creative, construction etc... and put the relevant early learning goals from each area of learning. Does this sound right?

Basically, in the EYFS there are Early Learning Goals in bold, and other objectives not in bold. Am I just putting Early Learning goals, or choosing from any of these?

Just another question while I'm having a panic... on the EYFS assessment scales, is there a specific point that children should have reached by the end of nursery, or do they just have to have made some progress towards the ELGs?

Typical NQT panic I guess!

Thanks x

Just another question while I'm having a panic... on the EYFS assessment scales, is there a specific point that children should have reached by the end of nursery, or do they just have to have made some progress towards the ELGs?

Ofsted have stated that they would assume national expectations for attainment for a child on entry to F2 to be within the blue/green stepping stones in old money. They haven't issued an equivalence statement to the EYFS yet though I expect they soon will have to!!

They also see yellow stepping stone as national expectation for on entry to F1 therefore that gives you an idea of the range of progress that would be nationally expected.

They are very clear that we should not be using "average" as a descriptor nationally as there are so many different starting points for children however average for your school/cohort could be used I expect.

Cx

Edited by catma

With reference to the ELG's. When planning my activities and putting the objectives on our planning our we just using the ELG's that are in bold in the EYFS? OR should we be writing down the appropriate objectives from the 40-60 months+ section? (i'm in F1 by the way)

Is it just me or did stepping stones and ELG's just seem so much clearer?

Is it just me or did stepping stones and ELG's just seem so much clearer?

Oh yes, they really did!!

Easier to plan, easier to assess.... just easier! :-)

To me the statements of development are just that - broad descriptors of the kinds of behaviours we might typically see over time towards those ELGs.

I see learning intentions as smaller, more focused on the actual children and identified by me as the practitioner as being their next step towards that longer term outcome, based on their current aptitudes and attitudes. I think they can be worded however I want - and don't have to be lifted verbatim from the document at all. That section is after all "guidance"!!

Soap box moment coming up........

I really believe we have to free our minds of the shackles of prescription and start using the parameters of the EYFS to own our practice more comprehensively and have the confidence to do so! How I write an objective is less important than the actualisation of it through my environment, and through my interactions. That's what really matters.

Rant over. :o

Cx

Edited by catma

How I write an objective is less important than the actualisation of it through my environment, and through my interactions. That's what really matters.

You're right there. Good point well made.

I guess as long as I know what I'm doing in practice, what I write down doesn't have to be perfect.

Thanks for that Catma, you've really put my mind at ease! :-)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)