Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Using Photos And Making Observations

Help - been back at school for 3 days and my brain is already feeling frazzled!

Have been talking to my team about how we address the issue of using photos of the children in our learning diaries - we have always used them but have been thinking about child protection issues and the fact some parents might feel a bit iffy about this. Does anyone have a standard letter they send out that I could look at or know where I can find one on the site?

Thanks ems x

Morning!!

I can't find a copy to hand of our photo permission slip, but we do have one and its entirely separate to permission for anything else.

On it, we mention permsiion for photos in local paper, in nursery, and for staff to use for training purposes in and outside of the nursery (ie good practice courses)

Our school web site is not running properly currently but when it is I hope to have nursery pics on there too.......... so will need permission for that also.

I know its not a letter attached but hope that helps!

attached is my permission form, backs onto my registration form (not EYFS adapted)

Plus a whole school guidance on the issue,(very comprehensive) plus a leaflet for parents I got from this forum.

Hope they help :o

If there are parents who need to keep the identity of their child secure (not linked with the school) then there are tools in photo programmes to obscure facial features should a child accidently be included in a group of children (rather than lose the picture)

I have foster children and when full class photo's are taken at school, I have asked that they take one photo with my children left out and one photo with my children in the group, the photographer to print one copy of the one with my children in. This ensures my children don't feel excluded but also maintains their security.

I have recently sent photo's of my foster children to their mother(via their s.worker), posing in their school uniforms, I 'disguised' their school badges (which would identify the area they live in) using the photosuite smdge tool. xD

Peggy

permission_form.xls

Safe_use_of_cameras_leaflet_20.05.032.doc

taking_photos_in_schools_data_protection_guidance.pdf

We had a statement on the registration form about permission being granted to take photos for the children's files. If we wanted to use them as part of a display or if the newspaper, etc. was coming in, we usd to send out a separate letter with a permission slip attached.

We have just moved to doing as Wolfie said. We used to have a separate photo permission slip, but as we found we were using more and more pictures in individual files we decided to state in our policies that we would use pictures for this purpose and would only ask for permission if they were to be used for any other purpose. We also ask parents to sign a declaration stating they have read, understand and agree to abide by the policies, therefore effectively giving us a permission to take photos for the files. So far we have had no problems, but I am ready to explain to parents how a picture can speak a thousand words.

• 1 month later...

hello very new to site and am very impressed. Photos! at my setting we can not take any photo of the children in a group or even a pair situation for their files/learning journeys but can for displaying around the setting. I feel this loses any sponteniety and defeats the object. Has anyone got a letter or similiar which parents could sign giving consent. Hope I make sense been a long day and really should be asleep but my mind keeps going. Thanks in advance.

I'm sorry I don't have a letter but I agree it seems to be a bit backwards that you can display them but not share them in files. Is it an issue with parents having pictures of other people's children? We cannot display as we are in community building so all our pictures have no heads, although we had a fab display for parents evening and are looking for a way we can continue this but pack it up each day as the parents were fascinated with it. We do put pictures in files even if they show other people's children unless we have had specific request not to. We also allow parents to photograph at Christmas concerts etc though.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)