Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Curriculum Evening

Hi all

At the end of the Oct we are holding a curriculum meeting for parents to give them information on the curriculum and the way we assess. We have never done this before so are not really sure where to start! has anyone held a meeting like this for parents? If you have any notes of suggestions i would be very grateful. Thanks.

Lola

I start in a new job tomorrow and it's going to be a long day because we're holding an EYFS information evening for parents at 7pm - I'll let you know if there's anything in that which you could use.....

Hi Lola

I have just finished planning mine, it's on wednesday. This is what I do;

Powerpoint with 6 areas of learning and photos for each.

A whole section on outdoor use and how we go out whatever the weather.

Photos of the different stages of writing and explain them to parents.

Phonics section where I explain reason for the order, mnemonics, belnding, digraphs etc and I also get the parents to complete a phoneme frame activity - so that they can see how hard it is for their children.

Section on assessment and their Learning journeys and how I would like the parents to use them.

Then after the powerpoint we are going back to the classroom where I will have set up lots of activites with explanations - what their chidlren are learning through this activity and cross curricular links. All my continuous provision areas will also have explanations - role play, writign table, sand, water etc.

Hope this helps. We have always done them at my school, 6th year now.

Good luck

Hi Lola

I have just finished planning mine, it's on wednesday. This is what I do;

Powerpoint with 6 areas of learning and photos for each.

A whole section on outdoor use and how we go out whatever the weather.

Photos of the different stages of writing and explain them to parents.

Phonics section where I explain reason for the order, mnemonics, belnding, digraphs etc and I also get the parents to complete a phoneme frame activity - so that they can see how hard it is for their children.

Section on assessment and their Learning journeys and how I would like the parents to use them.

Then after the powerpoint we are going back to the classroom where I will have set up lots of activites with explanations - what their chidlren are learning through this activity and cross curricular links. All my continuous provision areas will also have explanations - role play, writign table, sand, water etc.

Hope this helps. We have always done them at my school, 6th year now.

Good luck

That sounds great - I am holding a parent's evening for my nursery is 3 weeks - I don't suppose you have any written info that you wouldn't mind sharing - my mind is boggled!

Thanks in anticipationxx

That sounds great - I am holding a parent's evening for my nursery is 3 weeks - I don't suppose you have any written info that you wouldn't mind sharing - my mind is boggled!

Thanks in anticipationxx

These are the explanations that i am putting out with my activities. Would let you see the powerpoint but don't know how i stand about putting chidlren's pictures on here. Sorry.

Creative_Workshop.doc

Graffiti_Board.doc

literacy_activities.doc

Maths_activities.doc

Reading_and_chatting_area.doc

Role_Play.doc

Sand_and_water.doc

snack_bar_and_talk_table.doc

NOTES about Assessment:

Early Years Foundation Stage

Ongoing assessment is an integral part of the learning and development process. Practitioners are observing children and responding appropriately to help them make progress towards the early learning goals. Assessments are based on practitioners' observation of what children are doing in their day-to-day activities and judgements are based on observational evidence gathered from a wide range of learning and teaching contexts.

The EYFS is made up of six areas of Learning and Development. All areas of Learning and Development are connected to one another and are equally important. All areas of Learning and Development are underpinned by the principles of the EYFS.

The areas of learning are introduced in ways that are suitable for young children, It probably won't feel like learning - most children see it as just fun and play, but as they get to grips with speaking and listening, singing and dancing, stories and counting, they are gaining all the basic skills that will provide a secure foundation for later educational and social development.

The areas of Learning and Development are:

• Personal, Social and Emotional Development

• Communication, Language and Literacy

• Problem Solving, Reasoning and Numeracy

• Knowledge and Understanding of the World

• Physical Development

• Creative Development.

Especially at this very young age, it is normal for children to develop at different speeds and to be further ahead in one area than another. These goals are designed to guide the planning of activities, not to put these very young children under pressure who are not tested at the end of the foundation stage.

Notes for parents about planning:

The long term plans are written for each area of constant provision. These plans help us ensure that we cover all areas of the curriculum over time.

The new E.Y.F.S. document states that practitioners should, ‘Provide flexible resources that can be used in many different ways to facilitate children’s play and exploration.’

The Long Term Plan takes into account the four EYFS themes:

• A Unique child

• Positive Relationships

• Enabling Environment

• Learning and Developing

Short Term planning is done on a weekly basis following observations of the children and an evaluation of how the previous week went. This meets Ofsted’s requirements.

The long term plans show how we support the child initiated activities on a regular basis, the short term plans show the adult-directed activities.

Weekly planning is done in the light of what we have learned about the children, not only in the previous week but from our wider knowledge of the children’s interests, knowledge and current understanding. If we take this into account we are more likely to have a calm purposeful week where both the team and the children are happy and unstressed. Even so, if an activity doesn’t work – we change it or abandon it and move on.

Hi Lola

I'm doing a curriculum/ reading meeting tomorrow -I'll spend some time looking at each area of learning and emphasising that learning is play based, practical and takes place inside and outside. I'll finish with reading as this is one of the main things we want to ask parents to help support us with and so I don't spend all my time talking about this - I've got a powerpoint I could let you have as a basis if you like - let me know if you would like a copy and I'll see if i can attach it.

Hi Lola

I'm doing a curriculum/ reading meeting tomorrow -I'll spend some time looking at each area of learning and emphasising that learning is play based, practical and takes place inside and outside. I'll finish with reading as this is one of the main things we want to ask parents to help support us with and so I don't spend all my time talking about this - I've got a powerpoint I could let you have as a basis if you like - let me know if you would like a copy and I'll see if i can attach it.

Hi Suebee - would it be possible for me to look at your power point presentation - I've got a parent's evening in 3 weeks

Thank youx

If you search in the resource library you'll find a couple of powerpoints that members have kindly donated for this purpose, and also some written info for parents. :o

I can't find them - help - not sure if I'm looking in the right place - any help gratefully recieved!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)