Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Observed Activity For Interview

Having an interview fairly soon and am expected to prepare a 15 minute activity for a small froup of 2 year olds, explain how it is connected to Early Learning Goals, as well as advise the staff on a follow-up activity.

So, here we are. I was thinking about reading aloud a short story about falling leaves from a book with big bright pictures followed by treasure basket with autumn leaves form different trees. The basket would be covered, so children would be asked to pop in their hands inside to explore and guess. Then, leaves would be taken out, sorted by colour, shape and size.

After that I would sing an action song about autumn leaves (Twinkle twinkle little star = Red leaves, yellow leaves, orange and brown, etc) Kids are supposed to follow my movements in a little dance, holding leaves in their hands, swing their arms, turn around and touch the floor. My suggestions to the staff would be assisting kids in making collages with the leaves, mixing red and yellow paints to get orange colour.

Now I am getting doubtful whether it will be too challenging for 2 year olds, or they'll manage. Or whether it'll be a complete failure and they will eat all my leaves and munching on them will be the only core activity. Or, the manager will find my leaves being against health and safety. Or, they'll think it's OK.

Please, advise.

Edited by Guest

I think your activity sounds good, my only concern with the age and stage appropriateness would be sorting the leaves into size colour and shape. This is only coming from the two year olds I work with at the moment as some of them would not do this part of the activity unless you did it in a way of matching maybe. Just depends what kind of two year olds you have and obviously you won't know that sorry cant help further

Abbey

I think your activity sounds good, my only concern with the age and stage appropriateness would be sorting the leaves into size colour and shape. This is only coming from the two year olds I work with at the moment as some of them would not do this part of the activity unless you did it in a way of matching maybe. Just depends what kind of two year olds you have and obviously you won't know that sorry cant help further

Abbey

Thank you, Abbey. This is exactly what I am concerned about, too. 24 and 35 months olds are a striking difference :o

Abbey

I agree with Abby about size/shape/colour sorting may be a bit too advanced, also think 15 minutes of adult led is too long (if all children in group are expected to remain in the group). The leaves, I am sure will grab their attention, to explore, dance with (will you have music?), throw and pick up etc. They love sensory, tactile activities such as treasure baskets. Maybe let them scrunch them up at the end of the activity. The follow up activity sounds good too, have extra supplies for this :o . xD

Good luck, I'm sure it will go well, let us know how it goes.

Peggy

I agree with Abby about size/shape/colour sorting may be a bit too advanced, also think 15 minutes of adult led is too long (if all children in group are expected to remain in the group). The leaves, I am sure will grab their attention, to explore, dance with (will you have music?), throw and pick up etc. They love sensory, tactile activities such as treasure baskets. Maybe let them scrunch them up at the end of the activity. The follow up activity sounds good too, have extra supplies for this :o . xD

Good luck, I'm sure it will go well, let us know how it goes.

Peggy

Thank you, Peggy. to simplify yet keep the sorting thing I am thinking about offering probably just 2 sorts of leaves: red maple leaves and heart-shaped yellow poppler leaves. Also, as a child is taking a leaf out of the basket, I'll ask, What colour he /she thinks the leaf is, and prompt appropriately if need be. When the leaves are all taken out, I'll start making just 2 piles, hope it will be easier and will work :( .

Thank you for throw and pick trick. I didnt think of it myself, for some reason but this is likely to be a hit.

I also am thinking about tying some way leaves to a cane rod, then holding this rod at children's eys level and ask them to blow onto the leaves (pretending to be the wind) to make leaves flutter in the air. (And I have a tricky answer as to how this blowing is connected to ELG :( . )

However, I am still worried and feeling something's missing? Is it really? Or is it just me? :(

What do you think?

Edited by Guest

Sounds like a lovely sensory activity. Not an expert on 2 year olds, as I work in a Pre-School however I read an article in one of the magazine's recently about colour. It suggested that children need colour matching activities (so your leaf matching fits the bill) before they are required to name colours. Would it be a good idea to say something like 'ah you've chosen the red leaf. I wonder which pile that one will go in' as naming colours and colour mixing comes a little later in the 'Development Matters' of the EYFS although I'm sure we all know children who can do so.

Could the children find a little red animal who likes sleeping in red leaves etc.....they could then cover the animal with the appropriately coloured leaves?

I'm thinking along the lines of children's schemas ie covering things and enclosing things.

Just my thoughts!

Sounds like a lovely sensory activity. Not an expert on 2 year olds, as I work in a Pre-School however I read an article in one of the magazine's recently about colour. It suggested that children need colour matching activities (so your leaf matching fits the bill) before they are required to name colours. Would it be a good idea to say something like 'ah you've chosen the red leaf. I wonder which pile that one will go in' as naming colours and colour mixing comes a little later in the 'Development Matters' of the EYFS although I'm sure we all know children who can do so.

Could the children find a little red animal who likes sleeping in red leaves etc.....they could then cover the animal with the appropriately coloured leaves?

I'm thinking along the lines of children's schemas ie covering things and enclosing things.

Just my thoughts!

Just your BRILLIANT thoughts, Deb :o Thanks a lot.

Edited by Guest

what lovely ideas will use these at work too.

the blowing leaves could be for a communication /speech excersise . we did a letters and sounds course and they suggested for our 2yr olds that we do excersise for the mouth as a sort of aid to building the muscles in the mouth area for good speech: blowing bubbles using straws blowing cut tissue perhaps the leaves would count if you could find the appropriate goal.

sue

Thank you, Peggy. to simplify yet keep the sorting thing I am thinking about offering probably just 2 sorts of leaves: red maple leaves and heart-shaped yellow poppler leaves. Also, as a child is taking a leaf out of the basket, I'll ask, What colour he /she thinks the leaf is, and prompt appropriately if need be. When the leaves are all taken out, I'll start making just 2 piles, hope it will be easier and will work :( .

Thank you for throw and pick trick. I didnt think of it myself, for some reason but this is likely to be a hit.

I also am thinking about tying some way leaves to a cane rod, then holding this rod at children's eys level and ask them to blow onto the leaves (pretending to be the wind) to make leaves flutter in the air. (And I have a tricky answer as to how this blowing is connected to ELG :( . )

However, I am still worried and feeling something's missing? Is it really? Or is it just me? :(

What do you think?

Hmm, not too sure about the canes and blowing the leaves, might take quite a bit of puff and then you also have canes being waved about to worry about. :o . Maybe if the weather is anything like today, they could look out the window an see for themselves tree's / leaves blowing in the wind (that's if there are any visible from the setting), then re-enact this visual experience with music, children holding a leaf as they dance, blowing whilst they dance.

I think having two sets only is a good idea for the sorting game xD

Peggy

There's a rhyme

5 little leaves so bright and gay

were dancing about on a tree one day

the wind came whistling through the town

and one little leaf came fluttering down

four little leaves ....

We did this when ofsted were in - (sorry to use the word) and each child had 5 leaves and they threw one behind them in each verse and counted how many they had left - was hilarious as we had leaves all over, but they asked to do it again and again

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)