Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Accident Forms

AnonyMouse_7677

I am confused! In a recent communication from Ofsted they now say that we only need to keep details of accident forms for a period of 2 years, together with all child's details etc. My understanding is that we need to keep them for 21 years or so to allow a child when becomes an adult putting in a claim against us.

Edited by meridian

What you need to remember is that there are always several different statutory and non statutory requirements that you need to be aware of. Obviously Ofsted themselves have decided that 2 years is long enough, probably judging that if someone wanted to make a complaint about an incident then this is more than enough time in which to do so. Let's face it, if it were that important you wouldn't leave it any longer before doing something!

However, for insurance reasons it is recommended that accident records are kept much longer. I'm not sure that it is actually a statutory requirement but would be good practice. Note that this is accidents records only - not all information on each child! :o

I put the attached document in the resource library regards retention of records (it is pre- EYFS)

see page 4 for accidents.

The small print states

Accident records - The regulations say that these records should be kept for 2 years (SI20031996 7(1b)). The Statute of Limitations states that a minor may make a claim for 7 years from their eighteenth birthday, therefore the retention should be for the longer period.

Medicines Records - The regulations say that these records should be kept for 2 years (SI20031996 7(1b)). The NHS records retention schedule states that any records relating to a child under the age of 18 should be retained until that child reaches the age of 25 years. Therefore, the retention should be DOB of the child being given/taking the medicine + 25 years.

Hope this helps.

I think there may be a business opportunity out there if you have a lot of storage space to rent out for keeping other peoples records safe, how this is maintained with changing committees etc, businesses closing etc I don't know :o

Peggy

freedom_of_information___data_protection_toolkit_1_.doc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)