Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Expectations For Joining Reception

Hi

Quite a random question and I have probably posted this in the wrong place... I have been asked what my expectations are as a class teacher for children on entering reception year. Any thoughts?

Can you tell us who has asked you? Was it a parent, setting, teacher? :o

Hi

It is another member of staff who has concerns about a nursery child moving on to Reception next Sept. They are wanting to explain to the parent that perhaps they need to be in a setting that can provide more 1-1 support. Does this help?

Hi and welcome,

No worries about posting in the wrong place - I can move the topic for you. Unfortunately I can't help with your query though! :o

Thanks, Carol. Where should I have posted it?

This is a really interesting one :o

We have to be careful about inclusion issues, and that we provide for the needs of every child, regardless of their difficulties, etc. However, if the nursery staff feel that the child has sufficiently complex needs, and would be better placed in a Special School, then they need to be able to articulate why this child will not cope in the reception class, and in what ways the school may not have the appropriate level of care that the child needs.

We have had several children over the years, whom we felt would thrive in a special school, but would sink in a traditional reception class, regardless of the number of hours of 1-1. A Special School is simply the best setting for some children, for all sorts of reasons.

I'm guessing the issues might be about health issues/independence/behaviour/level of development? Or is it something else?

Perhaps the best way of approaching this, is to find out what their concerns are about the child, rather than finding out what expectations you have, and then work from there. xD

Hi there MJLA, I would agree with Helen's good advice there, and consider where the child is now rather there what might be in a years time. I'm assuming the child is in a school nursery class, and possibly may have only just started? It may well be really early days yet although some difficulties children have may be glaringly obvious but may also have been flagged previoulsy in either other settings (eg previous playgroup?) or by a health visitor? Obviosusly if the teacher has genuine concerns that go beyond the settling in type, then your school will have procedures to follow which will involve the school SENCO. Obviosulsy observing the child will be very paramount and you woud need also to talk with parents about how the child is at home so that you can gather the best picture possible of the child and their specific needs.

Do let us know how you/they get on.

Hi there MJLA, I would agree with Helen's good advice there, and consider where the child is now rather there what might be in a years time. I'm assuming the child is in a school nursery class, and possibly may have only just started? It may well be really early days yet although some difficulties children have may be glaringly obvious but may also have been flagged previoulsy in either other settings (eg previous playgroup?) or by a health visitor? Obviosusly if the teacher has genuine concerns that go beyond the settling in type, then your school will have procedures to follow which will involve the school SENCO. Obviosulsy observing the child will be very paramount and you woud need also to talk with parents about how the child is at home so that you can gather the best picture possible of the child and their specific needs.

Do let us know how you/they get on.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate your thoughts. You are both absolutely right. Will keep you posted.

I work with sen children and I think it is very early days to be talking about where a child will be in 1 years time unless they have an obvious disability, condition, diagnosis etc. I've seen children jump leaps and bounds in that time so it concerns me that jumping to conclusions so quickly!!!

Hi MJLA,

I've worked with reception children for 6 years now. I would always say to the parents that I would expect to see them happy and wanting to come to school as my main starting point, followed by where the child is at in their learning and how I would support them to move on -after all happy chidlren learn and unhappy children don't. I've also been SENCO for three years so if it is more of a specific issue then there should already be other people involved who can also help to guide and advise the parents anyway. If not then maybe portage should become invoved? I hope this helps - I suppose I'm saying similar to the others really! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)