Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Advice Please

Right I have been told verbally that there are some trees that need to come down by the church. One of which is over the outside play area.

We went out yesterday and I had a look therefore I feel that I need advice in this matter. One of our children's older siblings was in an accident and I feel that her parents may not feel happy that we are out there. Now my feeling is that we need to play out according to the EYFS but Health and Saftey of the children is more impoartant.

What should I do next?

Thank you

Beth

I'm sorry beth but I am having a bit of a dense moment! Are you saying that a parent of one of your children is saying that one of the trees is dangerous because her older child had an accident involving a tree somewhere else?

If I am right then what you need to do is carry out a risk assessment on the area. You need to identify what the hazards are - ie, falling branches, slippy leaves etc. Then you need to work out what the risk is - ie, how serious an injury would a child sustain from any of the hazards you have listed and how likely is it to happen. If you then think that there is a high likelihood that a child would sustain an extremely serious injury, obviously you would need to do something about it. However, if there is a very low likelihood of an accident happening or any possible injuries are relatively minor then this is acceptable. :o

Agree..

risk assess the area..

if any danger of falling branches etc you could state high winds as a reason not to go outside and assess daily...

Show parents your assessments and how you deal with any risk..

I assume it is not the fact that they can climb the tree but it just overhangs your play area..

We have a tree the children do climb in ours...not had to rescue one yet.. but time will tell..and at moment falling bits is a regular hazard.. they just duck!

Inge

Sorry I didn't make it clear.

The CHURCH has told me verbally, due to the incident with the child's sibling in another area. The tree will be going but didn't say when.

Now should I pass it onto my boss so then she can deal with it, with regard to a risk assesment on Monday (not sure how to do it with only me in as level 3!).

Beth

Sorry I didn't make it clear.

The CHURCH has told me verbally, due to the incident with the child's sibling in another area. The tree will be going but didn't say when.

Now should I pass it onto my boss so then she can deal with it, with regard to a risk assesment on Monday (not sure how to do it with only me in as level 3!).

Beth

I'd delegate Beth1, get any one of your staff to do the risk assessment, then let your manager know what the risk assessment identifies needs doing (if anything)

Peggy

I had a quick chat to the church minister (sp) who said the same thing, asked for it in writing which they are happy to do.

Now not sure when they will take down the trees. I spoke to deputy who thinks we should not use that area until it has been resloved.

I feel that there are 2 options:

1) not allow any children to use that area

or

2) use area but corden off near the tree (could pose problem due to lack of resources and the tree could come over all of the area)

I do feel the same as the deputy in terms of health and saftey. Unfourntarly we cannot go out on walks due to having not enough staff to children on outdoor ratio/best practice i.e. 1:2 or resources like a rope with ribbon on for the children to hold.

Now once I have some further advice I will email the chair to let her know of what adivce has been given and what we will do next. I would like to send them this email later on tonight if possible.

Should OFSTED be informed of us not using the outdoor area due to health and saftey issues?

Beth

If you do inform Ofsted I would have a risk assessment completed firstly so you can send it to them. Possibly also a good idea to have someone look over that to point out any questions which might arise from it. That way if Ofsted question your decision you will feel secure in your viewpoint. I could also see them asking to see how you intend to tackle the issue to reduce the risk and enable outdoor play in line with the EYFS, with dates.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)