Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Outside Storage

Hi everyone, this might be a stupid query in the wrong place, apologies if that's the case.

I have been allowed a SMALL amount of money for outside storage, providing it's waterproof and generally fit for the purpose (at my school even a gift is like a Harry Potteresque quest).

What I'm looking for is bright, sturdy, stable,child friendly, moveable shelving. Does anyone know if it exists or are we going to have to invent it? Am also interested in tables that can be left outside- a sort of Ikea meets garden furniture thing. Thanks

Posy

PS Please will someone answer my post, the last time I started a thread (2006) no one responded and I was devastated!

Hi Posy, there are many many more members now so I'm sure you will get some replies this time!.

Are you looking for storing smaller items, rather than a shed type unit for bigger things like bikes etc? And are you looking for soemthing that stays outside permanently? We used to use a portable art trolley and push it in and out every day. It therefore didnt need the particulrlay weather proof.

Im sure otheres will pop alog with their solutions soon

we have one of those plastic garden stores which we padlock,and in it we have a sports trolley which has bags hanging in it, so we just wheel that out, for the childrent o select their playequipment. Store costs about £90-£100 from plae such as B&Q,Focus or Homebase.We also have a larger, wodden shed for bigger things such as bikes, trampoline etc

HI posy

sorry to hear you didn't get many replies last time- here's mine though :o I'd agree with Narnia about the plastic ones from B&Q or Homebase- you can get them in a range of sizes and being plastic you don't have to upkeep them like timber ones. We also have a sports trolley for balls, hoops, qoites etc. That is kept in the garage though.

I have also visited a number of nurseries that have shipping containers- that's on my wish list for the furture though xD

Hi Posy

I was in homebase last week and they have a plastic garden storage unit that has a lid but also two big doors which open so you can get right into the unit - so its not like a great big chest freezer that you have to almost fall into in order to get anything out of! These aren't exactly child friendly though!

I'm sure I've seen brightly painted metal trolleys in most of the educational catalogues - but offhand I can't really think of anything else that will hold lots of resources for children to choose from. However I did see an idea in a book the other day - someone had used some of those mini green houses to store a small set of themed resources - in this case mark making for the outdoor area. These are ones that come with a little plastic overcoat which keeps everything dry - genius!

Hope you find a solution to your problem: let us know when you find it!

Maz

Hi everyone, thanks for replies. Maz, the plastic greenhouses are the beginninig of my quest as they didn't survive the stormy weather (if I could put one of those faces on here I'd insert a sort o ho hum one at this point). But that's the sort of thing I'm after, for storing small and smallish resources. Anyone feel lke designing one and making our fortune? Just give me a cut please!!!!!!

Posy

I bough some child sized picnic benches from ebay a couple of years ago... a kind parnet put them togther for us. One has gone a little wobbly but for only £30 each i think they are lasting well.

As for storage we have two sheds. I use a veg trolley as a writing trolley but we put everything back in the sheds each evening.

L

We have a 'Double Storey, Double Door, Utility Cabinet' that we bought through a newspaper advertisement for £99. You can find it at www.waltons.co.uk for a similar price. This is an upright plastic cupboard about 6 foot high; has 4 shelves and doors that can be padlocked. Children wont be able to reach all shelves but ours know what's stored and ask for things they can't reach. korkycat

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)