Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry
This is the EYFS Staging Site ×

Daily Routine And Planning

Hello,

Im an NQT working in a reception class and all of my training has been in KS1/2 so i feel really lost in the EYFS and constantly worried that im doing the wrong thing, i constantly feel stressed!

After helf term im going to be doing a daily lit/num session and a phonics session in the morning and focusing on 2 of the other 6 areas of learning in the afternoon e.g. KUW and CD. Does this sound ok?

I really need help on daily planning for example after a 10-15 numeracy/lit introduction i will go off and work with a group developing on the learning that was covered in the introduction. whilst im working with the group what are the other pupils meant to be doing, free choice? or do i have to set up learning stations that are relevant to the introduction i just did?

Im struggling with the same aspect in my afternoon sessions, whilst im working with a small group e.g painting self-portraits what are the rest of the class supposed to be doing, can somebody please help me as i feel that im constantly going around in circles and failing the children in my class.

Ive also uploaded my short/medium plans - this is all the planning i do, would somebody mind looking over it and telling me if im doing the right thing/enough planning, THANK YOU!

Medium_term_plan_Ourselves_Au1.doc

weekly_planning_wk_5___29.09.08.doc

week_5___29.09.08.doc

As an NQT I would hope that you have a mentor to support you - are you in a 1 form entry school and do you have chance to meet with other NQTs teaching in Reception? Have you had much EYFS training from your LEA?

Sorry for so many questions!

There are lots of planning ideas in the forum - just need to search for a bit.

Following the Letters and Sounds document will guide your phonics in the right way and give you a structure to follow in terms of content and ideas.

Are you planning your lit and num from the profile plus children's needs? The follow on activities will flow from these so you can meet the needs of the children and not just cover a topic.

How do you use TA support within the sessions? TAs can interact with children as they access the provision areas linked to the theme/own interests.

Don't try to link everything in to your theme though, you'll tie yourself in knots! Also leave some curriculum 'space' to meet interests of children and allow for Child initiated learning.

Can't open your planning links, so not sure how they look!

Hi carriet - welcome to the Forum!

I can't help much I'm afraid because I'm in pre-school. However you've come to the best place for advice and support - hope you get lots of both on here and this will reduce your stress levels!

Maz

Your week 5 timetable looks very balanced, however I think you may have a tiny error at the top in the times? 12.55 is shown as the end of the morning session. It's nothing important, it's just that you might want to change it before someone important sees it (hehe)

As an NQT I would hope that you have a mentor to support you - are you in a 1 form entry school and do you have chance to meet with other NQTs teaching in Reception? Have you had much EYFS training from your LEA?

Sorry for so many questions!

There are lots of planning ideas in the forum - just need to search for a bit.

Following the Letters and Sounds document will guide your phonics in the right way and give you a structure to follow in terms of content and ideas.

Are you planning your lit and num from the profile plus children's needs? The follow on activities will flow from these so you can meet the needs of the children and not just cover a topic.

How do you use TA support within the sessions? TAs can interact with children as they access the provision areas linked to the theme/own interests.

Don't try to link everything in to your theme though, you'll tie yourself in knots! Also leave some curriculum 'space' to meet interests of children and allow for Child initiated learning.

Can't open your planning links, so not sure how they look!

yeah its a one form entry school and no i have not had a chance to meet any other NQT's. i do have a mentor but he has never taught in reception before and i think is struggling to get his head around the EYFS he had been helpful but as you can see im still left confused about some issues.

ive been on training for phonics and feel confident with that aspect of reception. my num and lit planning is all from abacus evolve - im picking and choosing elements from it that are relevant to my class, their needs and interests. i currently dont have a TA ill be getting one after xmas when my new intake start.

im just really confused about the day are the children meant to be having free choice activities all day with interuptions of thins coming from lit/num/phonics?

Your week 5 timetable looks very balanced, however I think you may have a tiny error at the top in the times? 12.55 is shown as the end of the morning session. It's nothing important, it's just that you might want to change it before someone important sees it (hehe)

woops, thanks!

Hi again - just managed to upload your planning, at school!

Is you r school quite formal, your planning and routines seem more Y1 than Reception - not that that is incorrect - it may be that this suits your class better. Without TA support I think you have to be a bit more formal in your set up- do yuo have many children? If you ahve then offering free flow access to provision at the same time as trying to do an adult focus activity will send you bonkers! If you want to email me I can let you look at my planning if that is any use - always good to share say I! So many good ideas will be found from previous threads too.

Jenni M

Hi again - just managed to upload your planning, at school!

Is you r school quite formal, your planning and routines seem more Y1 than Reception - not that that is incorrect - it may be that this suits your class better. Without TA support I think you have to be a bit more formal in your set up- do yuo have many children? If you ahve then offering free flow access to provision at the same time as trying to do an adult focus activity will send you bonkers! If you want to email me I can let you look at my planning if that is any use - always good to share say I! So many good ideas will be found from previous threads too.

Jenni M

currently have 9 in my class, would love to see your planning - ive sent you an email, thank you.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)